Lim((cosx/x^2)-(sinx)/x^3)) x->0 L'hopital

• Thread starter nicholas1504
  • Start date
  • Tags
    l'hopital
In summary, the conversation discusses a query about a limit involving cosx and sinx, and the use of L'Hopital's rule to solve it. The teacher suggests rewriting the expression to get a 0/0 situation and the conversation discusses possible ways to do so. Eventually, it is agreed that rewriting it as (x cosx - sinx)/(x^3) will lead to the desired result of -1/3. The conversation also briefly mentions the correct spelling of "l'Hospital" and the appreciation for the historical flavor of the past.
nicholas1504
Hey Everybody.

I was just wondering about this query:

lim((cosx/x^2)-(sinx)/x^3))
x->0

My teacher is telling me to use L'hopital, but the problem is that

the first part (cosx)/(x^2) isn't a "0/0", cosx-> 1 for x->0

So what should I do, i know the right answer is -1/3, but i need to prove it.

Plz. Help Me

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I've never used that method in calculus before, but am I right in thinking that you need to get to a 0/0 situation?

In which it seems fairly obvious to me that you should rewrite:

[tex]\frac{\cos x}{x^2} - \frac{\sin x}{x^3}[/tex]

As:

[tex]\frac{x \cos x - \sin x}{x^3}[/tex]

Does that help?

i wasn't sure which forum, i should post my query in.

How did you rearrange it??

a/(c^2) - b/(c^3)
= ac/(c^3) - b/(c^3)
= (ac-b)/(c^3)

-- AI

Thank you guys, you just made my day beautiful!

wasn't sure which forum, i should post my query in.

Homework help.

Actually, the modern spelling is l'Hôpital; the 's' is swallowed into the circumflex.

Right !
I love the flavor of the past.

What is the L'Hopital's rule?

L'Hopital's rule is a mathematical principle used to evaluate limits of indeterminate forms, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It states that if the limit of a fraction f(x)/g(x) as x approaches a certain value a is an indeterminate form, then the limit of the ratio of the derivatives f'(x)/g'(x) is equal to the original limit.

How do I know when to use L'Hopital's rule?

L'Hopital's rule should only be used when the limit of a fraction is an indeterminate form, meaning that both the numerator and denominator approach either 0 or ∞. This can be determined by evaluating the limit algebraically and seeing if it results in an undefined expression.

What is the difference between L'Hopital's rule and direct substitution?

Direct substitution involves plugging in the value that the variable is approaching directly into the function. L'Hopital's rule, on the other hand, involves taking the derivatives of the numerator and denominator and then plugging in the value. It is used specifically for indeterminate forms, while direct substitution can be used for any limit.

Can L'Hopital's rule be used for limits at other values besides 0?

Yes, L'Hopital's rule can be used for limits at any value, not just 0. However, it is most commonly used for limits at 0 since many functions tend to approach indeterminate forms at this value.

Are there any limitations to using L'Hopital's rule?

Yes, there are some limitations to using L'Hopital's rule. It can only be used when the limit is an indeterminate form, and it cannot be used if the limit approaches a finite value, ∞, or -∞. Additionally, it may not always result in the correct answer, so it should be used with caution and checked with other methods if possible.