Proving Lim Inf and Lim Sup of Sequence Rn in (0,1)

• Thread starter Ed Quanta
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of lim inf=0 and lim sup=1 for the sequence of rational numbers in the interval (0,1). The participants also discuss their understanding of the definitions of limsup and liminf and how these apply to the given sequence. One participant suggests using a specific definition to show that the limsup and liminf are 1 and 0, respectively. Another participant proposes a simpler definition and questions why it differs from the official one.
Ed Quanta
So if the sequence Rn is the list of all rational numbers in (0,1), how am I to prove that lim inf=0 and lim sup= 1?

I understand that this sequence has sup=1 and inf=0, but since I do not know what the sequence will look like as n approaches infinity, how do I know lim sup=1 and lim inf=1?

For example, if the sequence is non-decreasing, then can I necessarily say that lim inf=0. I know that the inf will be 0, but lim inf cannot be approaching this number since the rational numbers are increasing. Tell me where my thinking is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
it helps if you have a definition of limsup and liminf.

i do not know the usual definition, but i would guess that you could say the lim sup is the smallest number L such that for all e>0, only a finite number of elements of the sequence lie above L+e.

then it seems clear that your problem is true.

The sequence of infima must be nondecreasing and the sequence of suprema must be nonincreasing.
They are clearly both bounded (below by 0 and above by 1), therefore they are convergent.

Easiest way to show the lim inf is 1 may be to assume it is less than 1 a derive a contradiction and to assume it is greater that 1 and derive a contradiction. (same for supremum).

EDIT: Eh, I think I`m confusing stuff. I have to check my definition of lim inf, because lim inf should be 0, not 1...

Last edited:
"lim inf" of a sequence is the infimum of the set of all subsequence limits of the sequence.

"lim sup" of a sequence is the supremum of the set of all subsequence limits of the sequence.

To show that the lim sup of the set (sequence since it is countable) of all rational numbers between 0 and 1 is 1 you must show that there exist some sequence of rational number in that set that converges to 1.

To show that the lim inf of the set (sequence since it is countable) of all rational numbers between 0 and 1 is 0 you must show that there exist some sequence of rational number in that set that converges to 0.

Hint: Any real number is the limit of some sequence of rational numbers.

ok, if the lim sup is the sup of the set of all subsequence limits, and if only a finite number of elements of the sequence lie above L+e for every e>0, then certainly no number larger than L+e is the limit of a subsequence. Hence my L is ≥ the lim sup.

But if we choose any e > 0 and consider L-e, then by my definition of L, and since L-e is smaller than L, certainly an infinite number of elements of the sequence are greater than L-e. Hence there is an infinite number of elements of the sequence caught between L-e and L, for every e>0.

Then it is obvious that L is a subsequence limit. So L is actually the largest subsequence limit. Hence L is the limsup.

Now since for every e>0, only a finite number of elements of the sequence of all rationals in (0,1) lies above L+e, we must have L ≥ 1. And since L is a limit of rational between 0 and 1, also L ≤ 1. so L = 1.

My definition seems so much easier than the official one. What gives?

Maybe they differ in the case where the limsup is minus infinity or something, which is irrelevant here.

1. What is the definition of Lim Inf and Lim Sup of a sequence?

The limit inferior (Lim Inf) of a sequence is the smallest number that is approached infinitely often by the sequence. The limit superior (Lim Sup) is the largest number that is approached infinitely often by the sequence.

2. How do you prove the Lim Inf and Lim Sup of a sequence?

To prove the Lim Inf and Lim Sup of a sequence, you need to show that for any given number, there exists a subsequence of the original sequence that approaches that number as its limit inferior or limit superior. This can be done using the definition of Lim Inf and Lim Sup and the properties of limits.

3. Why is it important to prove the Lim Inf and Lim Sup of a sequence?

Proving the Lim Inf and Lim Sup of a sequence is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the sequence as a whole. It also allows us to determine whether the sequence has a limit or not, and if it does, what that limit is.

4. What is the significance of proving the Lim Inf and Lim Sup of a sequence in the interval (0,1)?

The interval (0,1) is a common interval used in mathematical analysis, and many important theorems and results are based on sequences in this interval. By proving the Lim Inf and Lim Sup of a sequence in this interval, we can draw conclusions about the convergence and divergence of the sequence, which can have implications in various fields of mathematics.

5. Can the Lim Inf and Lim Sup of a sequence in (0,1) be equal?

Yes, it is possible for the Lim Inf and Lim Sup of a sequence in (0,1) to be equal. This can happen when the sequence is convergent and its limit is a value within the interval (0,1). In this case, the Lim Inf and Lim Sup both approach the same limit, resulting in equality.