Convergence of Sequence xn=nabn and Lim of P(n)/(a^n) = 0

• Thread starter RKermanshahi
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence of a sequence xn=nabn, where a is a natural number and b is a real number with 0<b<1. It is shown that the sequence converges to zero and this is used to conclude that the limit of P(n)/cn also equals zero, where P is a polynomial function and c>1. Different methods are discussed, including using logarithms and the monotone convergence theorem.
RKermanshahi
1. Consider the sequence xn=nabn, where a is a natural number and b is a real number with 0<b<1. Show that the sequence converges to zero. Conclude from here that lim P(n)/cn=0, where P is a polynomial function and c>1.

2. I am not sure how to show that the sequence converges to zero.

3. We know that bn certainly converges to zero since 0<b<1. I have tried to show that since that part of the sequence converges to zero, the entire sequence converges to zero; however, I believe I need that at least the rest of the sequence is bounded, which it is not. I have also tried using the standard epsilon-definition of the convergence of a sequence, but that has proved to be messy, with ln's and e's. My guess is it's something simple that I'm not seeing...

Physics news on Phys.org
I would try to work with log(x_n)=log(n^a*b^n). Can you show the log goes to negative infinity as n->infinity? You can do this if you can show log(x_n)/n goes to log(b) as n->infinity.

Last edited:
So taking the log's of both sides and applying rules of log's we get:

log(x_n)/n= (alogn)/n + logb. Is there a way to show (a logn)/n goes to zero as n goes to infinity without using L'Hospital's rule?

RKermanshahi said:
So taking the log's of both sides and applying rules of log's we get:

log(x_n)/n= (alogn)/n + logb. Is there a way to show (a logn)/n goes to zero as n goes to infinity without using L'Hospital's rule?

Nothing very neat, I guess. You could show the limit of log(n)/n is the same as the limit of log(e^n)/e^n, since e^n also goes to infinity. So that gives you n/e^n. If b_n=n/e^n then the limit of (b_n+1)/(b_n) is 1/e which is less than 1. So you can show it goes to zero by comparison with (1/e)^n.

Thanks, Dick. I actually solved it using the monotone convergence theorem. I took the quotient xn/xn+1 and showed that it was eventually always less than one (and hence eventually decreasing). I then showed it was bounded. So by the monotone convergence theorem it converges. Finally, taking the limit of the recurrence relation, we get that the limit equals 0!

What does the expression "Lim of P(n)/(a^n) = 0" mean?

The expression represents the limit as n approaches infinity of the function P(n) divided by a to the power of n.

What is the significance of the limit being equal to 0?

A limit of 0 means that as n gets larger and larger, the value of the function P(n) divided by a to the power of n gets closer and closer to 0. This can indicate that the function is approaching 0 or becoming infinitely small.

How is this limit calculated?

The limit can be calculated using various methods, such as L'Hôpital's rule or algebraic manipulation. It is important to consider the properties of the function and the value of a to determine the most appropriate method.

What are some real-life applications of this limit?

This limit can be useful in analyzing the growth or decay of certain phenomena, such as population growth or radioactive decay. It can also be used in economics to model the diminishing returns of investments.

Are there any limitations to this limit?

Yes, there are certain conditions that must be met in order for this limit to be valid. For example, the function P(n) must approach 0 as n approaches infinity, and a must be a positive number. It is important to carefully consider the conditions and assumptions before applying this limit in any calculations.