Lim sup of difference of primes

In summary, the conversation discusses an unsolved problem known as Andrica's conjecture and the possibility of proving that the limit of a certain equation is equal to 1. The participants also mention a source and share their opinions on the conjecture, with some suggesting that the limit may actually be 0. The conversation also mentions a related equation and how it may be managed using a certain fact.
Dragonfall
Although Andrica's conjecture is still unsolved, I'm told that it is possible to prove that

[tex]\lim\sup_{n\rightarrow\infty}\sqrt{p_{n+1}}-\sqrt{p_n}=1[/tex].

Does anyone know how or can point me to a source?

Physics news on Phys.org
Who told you that was true? It looks an awful lot like the max occurs when n=4, so the primes 7 and 11 and seems to decrease from there. I've seen it conjectured that the full limit is actually zero, not much of a conjecture if the lim sup was known to be 1.

I can't imagine the limit being higher than 0. Heck, find a number that makes it go higher than 0.01 for n > 10^9 and I'll be suprised.

Yes, that was a typo. I meant 0.

If the lim sup was 0, then the limit would be 0. This was still an unsolved problem according to Guy's 2004 "unsolved problems in number theory".

Maybe they meant

[tex]\lim\inf_{n\rightarrow\infty}\sqrt{p_{n+1}}-\sqrt{p_n}=0[/tex]

which you can manage. Use the fact that [tex]p_{n+1}-p_{n}\leq \log p_n[/tex] is true infinitely often (much more is true actually, see Goldstom, Pintz and Yildrims recent work).

1. What is the definition of the lim sup of difference of primes?

The lim sup of difference of primes is the largest possible limit of the sequence of differences between consecutive prime numbers. It represents the upper bound or maximum value that the differences between prime numbers can approach.

2. How is the lim sup of difference of primes calculated?

The lim sup of difference of primes is typically calculated by first listing out a sequence of consecutive prime numbers and then finding the differences between each pair of consecutive primes. The largest of these differences is then taken as the lim sup.

3. What does the lim sup of difference of primes tell us about prime numbers?

The lim sup of difference of primes can provide insight into the distribution of prime numbers. A lower lim sup suggests that there are larger gaps between consecutive primes, while a higher lim sup indicates that there are smaller gaps between consecutive primes.

4. Is the lim sup of difference of primes a finite or infinite value?

The lim sup of difference of primes is an infinite value, as there is no upper limit to the differences between consecutive prime numbers. However, it may be possible to approximate the lim sup for a given range of prime numbers.

5. How is the lim sup of difference of primes useful in mathematical research?

The lim sup of difference of primes is a useful tool in studying the properties and patterns of prime numbers. It can also be used in the development of new algorithms for finding prime numbers or in proving certain conjectures related to prime numbers.