Lim sup an /bn = lim sup an / lim sup bn?

• Thread starter jem05
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses two technicality questions related to sequences and limits. The first question asks if the limit of the supremum of an over bn is equal to the limit of the supremum of an divided by the limit of the supremum of bn. The answer is no, as demonstrated by the example given. The second question asks if a finite limit of the supremum of an over bn implies that the sequence an/bn is bounded. The answer is dependent on the definition of "bounded," and a counterexample is provided to show that the sequence may not be bounded from below.
jem05
hello,
2 technicality questions:

1) lim sup an /bn = lim sup an / lim sup bn?
2) if lim sup an /bn is finite does that mean
that the sequence {an/bn} bounded?

thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) no. Take (an)=(0,1,0,1,0,1,...) and (bn)=(1,-1,1,-1,1,-1,...).
2) I believe that this is true...

2) is false. Let bn=0 for a finite number of n's.

Uh, if a bn=0, then the sequence [tex]a_n/b_n[/tex] isn't even good defined. I didnt think the OP meant that...

yes ofcourse, i meant bn strictly positive.
ok, thanks a lot

jem05 said:
2) if lim sup an /bn is finite does that mean that the sequence {an/bn} bounded?

It depends what "bounded" means.

For example, take bn = 1 for every n, take an = 1/n if n is odd, and take an = -n if n is even.

Then, if I'm thinking about this correctly, lim sup an /bn = 0, but an /bn is not bounded from below.

1. What is the definition of lim sup an / bn?

The lim sup of a sequence is the largest limit point of that sequence. So, lim sup an / bn would be the largest limit point of the sequence an / bn.

2. How is lim sup an / bn calculated?

To calculate lim sup an / bn, we take the lim sup of the sequence an and divide it by the lim sup of the sequence bn.

3. What does lim sup an / bn represent?

Lim sup an / bn represents the ratio of the largest limit point of the sequence an to the largest limit point of the sequence bn.

4. What is the significance of lim sup an / bn in mathematics?

Lim sup an / bn is important in mathematics because it helps us understand the behavior and convergence of sequences. It can also be used to prove the convergence or divergence of series.

5. Are there any special cases where lim sup an / bn is equal to something other than the ratio of their lim sups?

Yes, if either the lim sup of an or bn is equal to 0, then lim sup an / bn is equal to 0. Also, if the lim sup of bn is infinite, then lim sup an / bn is either infinite or undefined.