1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lim x -> inf. of sinx/x

1. Sep 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]\lim_{x \to \infty } \frac{\sin x}{x}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]\lim_{x \to \infty } \frac{\sin x}{x}[/tex]
    Substitute x = 1/u
    [tex]\lim_{\frac{1}{u} \to 0 } \frac{\sin \frac{1}{u}}{\frac{1}{u}} = 1[/tex]

I know this is incorrect because intuitively I know that sinx will oscillate between 0 and 1, but the denominator will grow larger infinitely, therefore should theoretically approach 0 but that's just my thinking and no hard evidence.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Translate what you correctly know into an argument using the squeeze theorem.

4. Sep 18, 2012 #3
    We haven't learned the squeeze theorem, so should I just take sinx/x as x-> inf as 0 for granted and just memorize it like I do with sinx/x as x-> 0? (We were given sinx/x as x-> 0 to be 1, but were told to just memorize it)

5. Sep 18, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, there's no need to memorize it. Remember -1<=sin(x)<=1, so -1/x<=sin(x)/x<=1/x. Even if you don't have the theorem that should make it pretty obvious that the limit is 0.

6. Sep 18, 2012 #5

Mentallic

Homework Helper

That doesn't look right, if you're going to plug 1/u in for x then everything else needs to stay the same. As you have it there, you've changed the limit from [itex]x\to\infty[/itex] to [itex]\frac{1}{u} \to 0[/itex] when it should be [itex]\frac{1}{u} \to \infty[/itex]
    But regardless, this won't help you.

Well then I guess you can just memorize it, but the squeeze theorem isn't very hard to understand really, especially for this example.

It's true that [tex]-1\leq \sin(x)\leq 1[/tex] right?
    So if we divide all through by x, we get [tex]\frac{-1}{x}\leq \frac{\sin(x)}{x}\leq \frac{1}{x}[/tex]
    And now we know that the limit as [itex]x\to\infty[/itex] for both [itex]-1/x[/itex] and [itex]1/x[/itex] is equal to zero, and since [itex]\sin(x)/x[/itex] is in between those, its limit must also be zero.

7. Sep 18, 2012 #6
    Wow, thank you. That helps a ton, so now I know how to explicitly state this

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook