Lim x -> inf. of sinx/x

• Thread starter PhizKid
  • Start date
In summary, the limit as x approaches infinity of sinx/x is equal to 0, as proven by using the squeeze theorem and the fact that -1<=sin(x)<=1. This shows that the limit is not 1, as previously thought, but actually approaches 0 as the denominator grows infinitely larger.
PhizKid

Homework Statement

[tex]\lim_{x \to \infty } \frac{\sin x}{x}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Substitute x = 1/u
[tex]\lim_{\frac{1}{u} \to 0 } \frac{\sin \frac{1}{u}}{\frac{1}{u}} = 1[/tex]

I know this is incorrect because intuitively I know that sinx will oscillate between 0 and 1, but the denominator will grow larger infinitely, therefore should theoretically approach 0 but that's just my thinking and no hard evidence.

Physics news on Phys.org
PhizKid said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Substitute x = 1/u

I know this is incorrect because intuitively I know that sinx will oscillate between 0 and 1, but the denominator will grow larger infinitely, therefore should theoretically approach 0 but that's just my thinking and no hard evidence.

Translate what you correctly know into an argument using the squeeze theorem.

We haven't learned the squeeze theorem, so should I just take sinx/x as x-> inf as 0 for granted and just memorize it like I do with sinx/x as x-> 0? (We were given sinx/x as x-> 0 to be 1, but were told to just memorize it)

PhizKid said:
We haven't learned the squeeze theorem, so should I just take sinx/x as x-> inf as 0 for granted and just memorize it like I do with sinx/x as x-> 0? (We were given sinx/x as x-> 0 to be 1, but were told to just memorize it)

No, there's no need to memorize it. Remember -1<=sin(x)<=1, so -1/x<=sin(x)/x<=1/x. Even if you don't have the theorem that should make it pretty obvious that the limit is 0.

PhizKid said:
Substitute x = 1/u

That doesn't look right, if you're going to plug 1/u in for x then everything else needs to stay the same. As you have it there, you've changed the limit from [itex]x\to\infty[/itex] to [itex]\frac{1}{u} \to 0[/itex] when it should be [itex]\frac{1}{u} \to \infty[/itex]
But regardless, this won't help you.

PhizKid said:

Well then I guess you can just memorize it, but the squeeze theorem isn't very hard to understand really, especially for this example.

It's true that [tex]-1\leq \sin(x)\leq 1[/tex] right?
So if we divide all through by x, we get [tex]\frac{-1}{x}\leq \frac{\sin(x)}{x}\leq \frac{1}{x}[/tex]
And now we know that the limit as [itex]x\to\infty[/itex] for both [itex]-1/x[/itex] and [itex]1/x[/itex] is equal to zero, and since [itex]\sin(x)/x[/itex] is in between those, its limit must also be zero.

Wow, thank you. That helps a ton, so now I know how to explicitly state this

1. What is the limit of sin(x)/x as x approaches infinity?

The limit of sin(x)/x as x approaches infinity is equal to 0. This can be proven using the squeeze theorem or by graphing the function.

2. Why does the limit of sin(x)/x approach 0 as x approaches infinity?

This is because as x gets larger and larger, the value of sin(x) remains between -1 and 1, while the value of x grows without bound. Therefore, the fraction sin(x)/x becomes smaller and smaller, approaching 0 as x approaches infinity.

3. Can the limit of sin(x)/x be evaluated at infinity?

No, the concept of infinity does not exist in the real number system, so we cannot substitute infinity into the function to evaluate the limit. Instead, we use the concept of a limit to determine the behavior of the function as x approaches infinity.

4. Does the limit of sin(x)/x exist as x approaches infinity?

Yes, the limit of sin(x)/x as x approaches infinity does exist and is equal to 0. This can be proven using the definition of a limit or by evaluating the limit using algebraic properties.

5. Can the limit of sin(x)/x at infinity be used to evaluate other limits?

Yes, the limit of sin(x)/x at infinity can be used to evaluate other limits that involve a ratio of two functions, as long as the limit is in the indeterminate form of 0/0. This is known as the L'Hôpital's rule and is a useful tool in solving limits involving trigonometric functions.