1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Lim x->infinity

1. Feb 9, 2010 #1
    find the values for A,B such that

Limx->infinity x*((x3+x2+ax)(1/3)-(x3-bx)(1/3)) = 3

what i thought was

t=1/x

Limt->0 1/t*((1/t3+1/t2+a/t)(1/3)-(1/t3-b/t)(1/3)) = 3

Limt->0 1/t*((1/t3+1/t2+a/t)(1/3)-(1/t3-b/t)(1/3)) = 3

since here we have 0/0 i can use l'hopital's law, but it looks like its going to get really ugly whith too manu terms,

also how can i solve for both A and B when i have only one equation

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2010 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Before you let x --> oo, take the natural log of both sides. I think a little algebra will take you farther than L'Hospital's rule. At first glance, I would say you will have a hard time finding any value of a and b that work. But perhaps "none" is the answer.

4. Feb 9, 2010 #3
    what will logs help, i have subtraction between the 2 roots

5. Feb 9, 2010 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[tex]\ln{(A-B)} = \ln{\left (\frac A B\right)}[/tex]

6. Feb 9, 2010 #5
    No no,
    log(a) - log(b) = log(a/b)

7. Feb 9, 2010 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Aaargh!! Forgot to engage brain. In a danger zone. Still reeling from Super Bowl sunday. What can I say?

8. Feb 10, 2010 #7
    I approached the question by first factoring out x1/3 from the bracketted expression. with the remaining surdic expression, i rationalised the numerator in terms of cube roots so the numerator i would have
    [(x2 + x + a) - (x2 - b)] = x + a + b in it.
    I rearranged the x4/3 in the numerator to 1/(1/x4/3) so i would have as the denominator f(x)/x4/3
    where f(x) was the expression i used to rationalise the numerator.

using lim (f(x)/g(x)) = lim(f(x))/lim(g(x)), i evaluated the limit for the denominator and got 3 as the result.

so that means lim (x->infinity) (x + a + b) = 9

all linear functions i know of tend towards infinity as x tends towards infinity. thus, the limit is impossible no matter what value of a or b. at least that's what i got.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook