What is the limit of sin^3x/(sinx - x) as x approaches 0?

• Thread starter Bohrok
  • Start date
In summary, you're trying to find the limit of something, but you're not sure how to do it. You might want to try using l'Hôpital's rule or another important limit to help you get started.
Bohrok
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin^3x}{\sin x - x}[/tex]

I've been trying to find this limit the hard way without l'Hôpital's rule, but no luck. I've tried different things like factoring the difference of cubes to get rid of the denominator, but I can't get out of an indeterminate form. I did get sin3x/(sinx + x) but that didn't help. that x by itself seems to be causing the problem. This one's got me a little frustrated but I must be missing something relatively simple...

Physics news on Phys.org
Even though you said you tried it without l'Hôpital's rule, did you actually try it?

You can keep using l'Hôpital's rule if you keep getting zero over zero or infinity over infinity.

Just a clue. Use l'Hôpital's rule twice, and see if you can simplify the fraction using the identity sin(x)^2 + cos(x)^2 = 1

I did use l'Hôpital's rule just so I could find the actual limit, which was -6. I used the identity sin2x + cos2x = 1 but that still didn't help.

Kinda confused.

Then what are you trying to do?

vwishndaetr said:
Kinda confused.

Then what are you trying to do?

Say I want to find limx→0tanx/x. I could find it this way
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{\tan x}{x} = \lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{\frac{\sin x}{\cos x}}{x} = \lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin x}{x}\times \frac{1}{\cos x} = 1\times \frac{1}{\cos 0} = 1[/tex]

without using l'Hôpital's rule and using important limits like I used limx→0sinx/x = 1 above. I want to find the limit in the OP the "long way."

I'm doing this limit just for fun; not a homework problem. In fact, I don't remember where I found this limit problem.

[tex]\frac{x^3}{\sin x - x}\times\frac{\sin^2x + x\sin x + x^2}{\sin^2x + x\sin x + x^2} = \frac{x^3 - \sin^3x + \sin^3x}{\sin^3x - x^3}(\sin^2x + x\sin x + x^2)[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{\sin^3x -(\sin^3x - x^3)}{\sin^3x - x^3}(\sin^2x + x\sin x + x^2) = \left(\frac{\sin^3x}{\sin^3x - x^3} - 1\right)(\sin^2x + x\sin x + x^2)[/tex]
Then I realized the right factor will make the whole expression 0... But I went a slightly different way that looked promising:

[tex]\frac{x^3}{\sin x - x} = \frac{x^3 - \sin^3x + \sin^3x}{\sin x - x} = \frac{-(\sin x - x)(x^2 + x\sin x + sin^2x)}{\sin x - x} ~+~ \frac{\sin^3x}{\sin x - x}[/tex]

But I couldn't do anything with that last term.

Everything else I've tried was a dead end, or actually brought me back to what I started with and they're not really worth posting.

1. What is the limit of the function as x approaches 0?

The limit of the function as x approaches 0 is undefined.

2. How do you solve for the limit of this function?

To solve for the limit of this function, you can use L'Hopital's rule or rewrite the function using trigonometric identities.

3. Can you simplify the function before taking the limit?

Yes, you can simplify the function by factoring out sinx from the numerator and denominator, which results in the limit of 1 as x approaches 0.

4. Is this function continuous at x = 0?

No, the function is not continuous at x = 0 because it is undefined at this point.

5. What is the significance of this function in mathematics?

This function is often used as an example in calculus to demonstrate the application of L'Hopital's rule and trigonometric identities in solving limits.