Liminf and limsup of sequence of sets

In summary: This holds true for any positive rational number.In summary, liminf and limsup are both sets of values that appear in the tail sequence of a given sequence of sets. Liminf is the smallest value that appears infinitely often, while limsup is the largest value that appears infinitely often. In your example, both liminf and limsup are equal to the set of all positive rational numbers, as they all appear in the sequence for infinitely many values of n. I hope this helps clarify your understanding. Keep up the self-teaching, and don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions.
jbalthrop

Homework Statement

I am attempting to learn some measure theory and am starting with liminf and limsup of sequences of sets.

I found an example that is as follows:

A_n={0/n, 1/n, ... , n^2/n} and I am trying to find the limsup and liminf.

Homework Equations

liminf \subset limsup

The Attempt at a Solution

My understanding is that both deal with the tail sequences, and that limsup involves values that appear "infinitely often" and liminf covers values that appear "all but finitely often". Also I understand that lim infAn⊂lim supAn.

For the above example, if I enumerate the first few sets, it is clearly evident that {0} appears i.o. It also seems (to me) that as n--> infinity, all of the positive rational numbers appear. Now, since the sequence is monotone non-decreasing, An⊂An+1, I am having trouble seeing the limits. For example, no matter how large I choose N, there is some n≥N in which all of the rationals appear, right?

Obviously I am confused (this is all self-taught), so any explanation would be greatly appreciated. I seem to be able to make sense of liminf and limsup when the sequence is of a form similar to [0, n/n+1) and other examples, but I'm struggling with this example.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your question and example with us. It is great that you are taking the initiative to learn about measure theory on your own. I will try my best to provide an explanation that will help you understand liminf and limsup in this context.

First, let's define what liminf and limsup are. Liminf, or limit inferior, is the infimum (greatest lower bound) of the set of all values that appear in the tail sequence of a given sequence of sets. In simpler terms, it is the smallest value that appears infinitely often in the sequence. On the other hand, limsup, or limit superior, is the supremum (least upper bound) of the set of all values that appear in the tail sequence. In other words, it is the largest value that appears infinitely often in the sequence.

Now, let's look at your example. A_n={0/n, 1/n, ... , n^2/n}. As you correctly pointed out, liminf is the set of values that appear "all but finitely often" in the sequence. In this case, it would be the set of all positive rational numbers, as they all appear in the sequence for infinitely many values of n. This can be seen by choosing any positive rational number r and finding an n such that r=n/m, where m is a positive integer. For example, if we choose r=1/2, we can find n=2 such that 1/2=2/4 is in the sequence. Similarly, if we choose r=1/3, we can find n=3 such that 1/3=3/9 is in the sequence. This holds true for any positive rational number.

On the other hand, limsup is the set of values that appear "infinitely often" in the sequence. In this case, it would be the set of all positive rational numbers, as they all appear in the sequence for infinitely many values of n. This can be seen by choosing any positive rational number r and finding an n such that r=n/m, where m is a positive integer. For example, if we choose r=1/2, we can find n=2 such that 1/2=2/4 is in the sequence. Similarly, if we choose r=1/3, we can find n=3 such that 1/3=3/9 is in

1. What is the definition of liminf and limsup of a sequence of sets?

The liminf and limsup of a sequence of sets are defined as the smallest and largest limit points, respectively, of the sequence. In other words, the liminf is the set of all elements that appear infinitely often in the sequence, while the limsup is the set of all elements that appear in all but a finite number of terms in the sequence.

2. How are liminf and limsup related to each other?

The liminf and limsup are related by the following inequality: liminf ≤ limsup. This means that the liminf is always smaller than or equal to the limsup. In fact, if the sequence of sets is convergent, then the liminf and limsup will be equal to each other.

3. What is the significance of liminf and limsup in mathematics?

Liminf and limsup are important concepts in mathematical analysis and measure theory. They are used to define the notions of limit and continuity for functions, and they also play a crucial role in defining the Lebesgue measure, a fundamental concept in modern analysis.

4. How do we calculate the liminf and limsup of a sequence of sets?

To calculate the liminf of a sequence of sets, we take the intersection of all the sets in the sequence. To calculate the limsup, we take the union of all the sets in the sequence. In some cases, the liminf and limsup may be equal, but in general, they will be different sets.

5. Can liminf and limsup be used for infinite sequences of sets?

Yes, the definitions of liminf and limsup can be extended to infinite sequences of sets. In this case, the liminf will still be the set of elements that appear infinitely often in the sequence, and the limsup will be the set of elements that appear in all but a finite number of terms in the sequence. However, for infinite sequences, the liminf and limsup may not always exist or may be equal to the empty set.