1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit and continuity question

1. Mar 14, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello, thank you in advance for all help. This is a limit problem that is giving me a particularly hard time.

2. Relevant equations
    For what values of a and b is f(x) continuous at every x? In other words, how to unify the three parts of a piecewise function so that there are no holes or jumps in the function?

f(x) = { (i) -2 for values less than or equal to -1; (ii) ax - b for values of -1 < x < 1; and (iii) 3 for values greater than or equal to 1?

3. The attempt at a solution

The lefthand limit for (i) as x approaches -1 and the righthand limit for (iii) as x approaches 1 are fairly straightforward. (ii) is a polynomial, so the limit is continuous over that interval. In theory, and most certainly in practice, there are values for the limits as x approaches -1 and 1 that make all of f(x) continuous. However, I cannot seem to reconcile how to substitute values for x to find a and b. If I set ax - b = -1, or 1, the way I see it, I have two variables and cannot account for both.

Thank you again,

SY

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

This has to be true for a specific value of x only.
    +1 is the result for a different specific value of x.

That gives you two equations with two unknowns.

4. Mar 14, 2015 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why would you set ax-b=(-1)? You want to set ax-b=(-2) when x=(-1) and ax-b=3 when x=1. Solving those two equation for a and b shouldn't be much of a problem.

5. Mar 15, 2015 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If a function, f, is continuous for all x< a, then its limit as x approaches a from below is f(a). Similarly, if a function, g, is continuous for all x> a, then its limit as x approaches a from above is g(a). If a function is defined to be f(x) for x< a and g(x) for x>a, then it is continuous at x= a if and only if f(a)= g(a).

6. Mar 16, 2015 #5
    Thank you for the help Dick, I got it right! (After much weeping and gnashing of teeth.)

SY

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted