Manipulating 0^0: L'Hopital's Rule and Limit as x Approaches 4 from the Right

In summary, when you plug in 4 it becomes a 0^0. So I attempted to manipulate it so it would become a 0/0 form so I could l'hopital it, but it doesn't work. I then tried to l'hopital it again, but it didn't work either. I am not sure if my logic makes sense or not. If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it.
BoldKnight399
lim as x approaches 4 from the right of [3(x-4)]^(x-4)

when you plug in 4 it becomes a 0^0. So I attempted to manipulate it so it would become a 0/0 form so I could l'hopital it. (sorry if I keep spelling it wrong)

so lim(x-4)ln(3x-12)=lny
then I l'hopitaled it:
lim (x-4)(1/3x-12)*3+ln(3x-12)=lny
lim 1+ln(3x-12)=lny
lim e + (3x-12)=y
so y=e

I do not know if my logic makes sense or not. If anyone sees any flaws in my logic, I would really like to know.

Physics news on Phys.org
BoldKnight399 said:

when you plug in 4 it becomes a 0^0. So I attempted to manipulate it so it would become a 0/0 form so I could l'hopital it. (sorry if I keep spelling it wrong)

so lim(x-4)ln(3x-12)=lny
then I l'hopitaled it:
lim 1+ln(3x-12)=lny
lim e + (3x-12)=y
so y=e

I do not know if my logic makes sense or not. If anyone sees any flaws in my logic, I would really like to know.

why don't you try this:

lim[tex]\frac{ln(3x-12)}{1/(x-4)}[/tex]

lhopital this until you reach something that is defined.

hmmm ok so I get that the limit instead aproaches 0, however I look on my calculator and it should instead approach -infinity.
I had that: ln(3x-12)/1/x-4
so l'hopital it to get:
1/3x-12 * 3/(1/(x-4)^2)=0/0
so I l'hopitaled it again:
-1/(x-4)^2/(-2(x-4)/(x-4)^4)
so that the limit approaches 0. So where did I go wrong?

Use some more parentheses when you write this stuff, ok? It's hard to figure out whether 1/3x-12 is supposed to (1/(3x))-12 or (1/3)x-12 or what you really want which is 1/(3x-12). Your first l'Hopital form isn't 0/0. It's infinity/infinity. But if you do some algebra on it and simplify, you'll see you don't have l'Hopital it again. And if you are getting 0 that means ln of your original limit is 0. What's the original limit?

ok so if its: 1/(3x-12)*3/[1/(x-4)^2]
I simplified it to get: 1/(x-4)/(1/(x-4)^2)
so x-4 basically
which gets me...infinity?

BoldKnight399 said:
ok so if its: 1/(3x-12)*3/[1/(x-4)^2]
I simplified it to get: 1/(x-4)/(1/(x-4)^2)
so x-4 basically
which gets me...infinity?

x approaches 4. Is that really infinity?

0...gah I don't get this. Since on my calc it looks like it should approach 1

BoldKnight399 said:
0...gah I don't get this. Since on my calc it looks like it should approach 1

its
lny=0
when x --> 4+

however y approaches 1

lny=0
e^(lny)=e^0
y=1

BoldKnight399 said:

so lim(x-4)ln(3x-12)=lny
then I l'hopitaled it:
This is NOT L'Hopital. On the left you have just the limit of the derivative of ln y.

lim 1+ln(3x-12)=lny
lim e + (3x-12)=y
so y=e

1. What is the limit and l'Hopital's rule?

The limit and l'Hopital's rule is a mathematical concept used in calculus to find the limit of a function as it approaches a specific value. It states that in certain situations, the limit of a function can be found by taking the limit of the ratio of the derivatives of the numerator and denominator of the function.

2. When is l'Hopital's rule used?

L'Hopital's rule is typically used when the limit of a function yields an indeterminate form, such as 0/0 or infinity/infinity. It can also be used when the limit of a function involves an exponential or logarithmic function.

3. What are the conditions for using l'Hopital's rule?

To use l'Hopital's rule, the function must be in the form of 0/0 or infinity/infinity. Additionally, the limit must be approaching a specific value, such as a real number or infinity, and the function must be differentiable in a neighborhood of the value.

4. How is l'Hopital's rule applied?

To apply l'Hopital's rule, the first step is to rewrite the limit as a fraction. Then, take the derivative of both the numerator and denominator separately. The resulting limit will either be in a simpler form or will require multiple applications of l'Hopital's rule. Repeat this process until a value for the limit is obtained.

5. Are there any limitations to using l'Hopital's rule?

Yes, l'Hopital's rule cannot be used to find the limit of a function if it involves a discontinuity or if the limit is approaching a value where the function is not defined. It also cannot be used for certain types of indeterminate forms, such as 0*infinity or infinity - infinity.