Limit as x approaches 0

• Thread starter chem_vo
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Prove that the limit is 1 as x approaches 0 for the function f(x) / x.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I put the f out in front so I was left with f•Lim as (x → 0) (x/x) so I was left with f•lim(x→0) 1 so I used the limit property and was left with f•1. That was my attempt at proving however I have no idea how to prove it please help.

Answers and Replies

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Prove that the limit is 1 as x approaches 0 for the function f(x) / x.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I put the f out in front so I was left with f•Lim as (x → 0) (x/x) so I was left with f•lim(x→0) 1 so I used the limit property and was left with f•1. That was my attempt at proving however I have no idea how to prove it please help.
You don't "pull the f out in front". ##f(x)## is the notation for a function of ##x##. Without knowing the formula defining ##f(x)## the problem can't be worked.

You don't "pull the f out in front". ##f(x)## is the notation for a function of ##x##. Without knowing the formula defining ##f(x)## the problem can't be worked.
That's the only information we were given.

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Then you can't work the problem. Are you certain that ##f(x)## wasn't defined earlier?

Then you can't work the problem. Are you certain that ##f(x)## wasn't defined earlier?
Yes I'm certain f(x) was never given.

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Have you studied functions? Do you understand the function notation such as ##f(x) = x^2## or some other formula? If so you should see that your problem is incompletely stated without knowing the formula.

Have you studied functions? Do you understand the function notation such as ##f(x) = x^2## or some other formula? If so you should see that your problem is incompletely stated without knowing the formula.
Yes I have studied functions I'm aware what a function is. That was the question given and I'm just trying to make sense of it.

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Then don't waste any more time on that problem.