1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit at Infinity

1. May 14, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    $$\lim_{x\to\infty} \dfrac{(-1)^n\sqrt{n+1}}{n}$$

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

This is what I managed to do but I just wanted to verify that this is the correct way of solving it, I'm mainly concerned about the fact that I took the absolute value with the log function, is that a valid operation?
    $$y=\lim_{x\to\infty} \dfrac{(-1)^n\sqrt{n+1}}{n} $$
    $$ \ln y=\lim_{x\to\infty} \ln|\dfrac{(-1)^n\sqrt{n+1}}{n}| $$
    $$ \ln y=\lim_{x\to\infty} \ln|\dfrac{(-1)^n\sqrt{n+1}}{n}| $$
    $$\ln y=\lim_{x\to\infty} \ln|(-1)^n|+\lim_{x\to\infty} \ln|\dfrac{\sqrt{n+1}}{n}|$$
    $$\ln y=\lim_{x\to\infty} \dfrac{\ln|1|}{n^{-1}}+\lim_{x\to\infty} \ln|{\sqrt{1/n+1/n^2}}|$$
    $$\ln y=\lim_{x\to\infty} \dfrac{0}{n^{-2}}+ \ln|0|$$
    $$\ln y=-\infty$$
    $$y=e^{-\infty}$$
    $$y=0$$

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2015 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's a whole lot else wrong in there too. What's with the limit ##x \to \infty## when there is no ##x## in the expression? Assume you meant ##n \to \infty##. And there's not need to take a log to begin with. You seem ok with ##lim_{n \to\infty} \dfrac{\sqrt{n+1}}{n}=0##. The ##(-1)^n## doesn't change that much. Just use a squeeze argument.

4. May 14, 2015 #3
    Could you explain whats wrong other than the fact I accidentally used x->infinity so I don't make that mistake again?

5. May 14, 2015 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not as much as I thought at first, but the limit of ##x_n## is not necessarily the same as ##|x_n|##. I would just skip the log and absolute value in the argument altogether.

6. May 15, 2015 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Ignoring the (-1)n factor for the moment, you have
    ##\frac{\sqrt{n+1}}{n} = \frac{\sqrt{n}\sqrt{1 + 1/n}}{\sqrt{n}\sqrt{n}} = \frac {\sqrt{1 + 1/n}}{\sqrt{n}}##
    Can you take the limit now?

For the original problem, use the squeeze theorem that Dick suggests. I agree that logs and absolute values are not needed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted