1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(Limit) Comparison Test

1. Sep 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]\sum[/tex][tex]^{\infty}_{n=1}[/tex] [tex]\frac{e^{n}+n}{e^{2n}-n^{2}}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

I have to use either the Comparison Test or the Limit Comparison Test to show whether the series converges or diverges.

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]a_{n}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{e^{n}+n}{e^{2n}-n^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]b_{n}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{e^{2n}}[/tex]

[tex]lim_{n->\infty}[/tex] [tex]\frac{e^{n}+n}{e^{2n}-n^{2}}[/tex] * [tex]e^{2n}[/tex]

Annnd I'm not sure what to do beyond this point. I'm not even sure I'm taking the right equation for b[tex]_{n}[/tex]... Is it okay to just ignore the [tex]e^{n}[/tex] in the numerator like that?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2009 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can do the limit formally like so

[tex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{e^{3n} + e^{n}n}{e^{2n}-{n^2}}[/tex]

Divide the top and bottom by e2n

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{e^n+\frac{n}{e^n}}{1-\frac{n^2}{e^{2n}}}[/tex]

The numerator goes to infinity as n gets large, but the denominator goes to 1. So obviously the limit doesn't exist. Since the series for bn converges, you need to find something better.

The n and n2 in the limit don't grow nearly as fast as the exponentials, so when considering limit behavior, you might want to assume they're 0 to get a rough idea of what is going on. What can you divide [tex] \frac{e^n}{e^{2n}}[/tex] by to get that the limit as n goes to infinity still exists that might be a suitable candidate?

4. Sep 16, 2009 #3
    Hmm. Could I make it [tex]\frac{e^{n}}{ne^{2n}}[/tex]? Or [tex]\frac{ln(e^{n})}{ln(e^{2n})}[/tex]?

5. Sep 16, 2009 #4

zcd

Try the limit comparison test with [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{e^{n}-n}[/tex]
    (this converges if you compare it with the geometric series by the way)

6. Sep 17, 2009 #5
    Thank you so much, everyone! zcd, is the [tex]b_{n}[/tex] you gave me less than [tex]\frac{1}{e^{n}}[/tex] though? It seems like it should be bigger because the denominator is less...

7. Sep 17, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is bigger. But it's less than 1/((e^n)/2), for example, since (e^n-n)>((e^n)/2) if n is large enough.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook