1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit computation

1. Dec 19, 2009 #1
    I've the following problem. I have two four-vectors p and q where p is timelike ([tex] p^{2} > 0 [/tex]) and q is spacelike([tex] q^{2} < 0 [/tex]).
    Now I should consider the quantity

[tex] - \dfrac{2 (pq)^{2} + p^{2} q^{2}}{q^{2}} [/tex]

and compute the limit [tex] q \to 0 [/tex].

But I don't know how to perform the limit procedure. Could anyone help me please?

I already tried to consider the problem in a special frame with [tex] p=(p^{0}, \vec{0}) [/tex] but it doesn't help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2009 #2

Homework Helper

Can you show some more detail of the work you did?
  4. Dec 20, 2009 #3
    My attempt so far was not successfully. I considered a special frame where [tex] p = \left( p^{0}, \vec{0} \right) [/tex] which is possible, because p is timelike. Furthermore I defined [tex] q = (0, \epsilon, \epsilon, \epsilon) [/tex]. This will lead to:

[tex] - \dfrac{2 (pq)^{2} + p^{2} q^{2}}{q^{2}} = - p_{0}^{2} [/tex]

and for arbitrary p we should have: [tex] - p^{2} [/tex].

But somehow I don't think that I can specify q in this way. Another choice of q, e.g. [tex] q = (\epsilon, \epsilon, \epsilon, \epsilon) [/tex] would lead to a vanishing contribution [tex] = 0 [/tex], so I don't know how to compute the considered quantity. Obviously it depends on the choice of q.

Any idea how to do that?
  5. Dec 21, 2009 #4
    I've one further information, but I don't know if it helps: [tex] (p-q) \in V^{+} [/tex].

So, I also tried to consider a special frame where
    [tex] p-q = (p^{0} - q^{0}, \vec{0}) [/tex].

Which leads to [tex] \vec{p} = \vec{q} [/tex] and therefore:

[tex] - \dfrac{2 (pq)^{2} + p^{2} q^{2}}{q^{2}} = - \dfrac{2 (p^{0} q^{0} - \vec{p} \, ^{2})^{2} + p^{2} (q_{0}^{2} - \vec{p} \, ^{2})}{q_{0} - \vec{p} \, ^{2}} \simeq 2 \vec{p} \, ^{2} - p^{2} [/tex]

Then I rewrite the last [tex] \vec{p} \, ^{2} [/tex] into [tex] \vec{p} \cdot \vec{q} [/tex] and finally obtain (again): [tex] -p^{2} [/tex].

But it appears questionable to do the computation like this.

Could anyone help me please?
  6. Dec 21, 2009 #5
    Pephaps the identity (p+q)2 = p2 + q2 +2pq might be of help.
  7. Dec 22, 2009 #6
    ...... it does not really help
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook