Limit demonstration of sequence

In summary, the conversation discusses two types of infinite limits and different ways to prove them. One way is through the use of series, while another is by considering the properties of a function. The conversation also touches on the idea of asymptotes and how they relate to the limit tending to infinity.
joao_pimentel
Hi guys

I know this limit goes to infinity

[tex]lim (3^n-n)[/tex]
But how do I demonstrate it?

Actually I know also that this type of limits goes to infinity

[tex]lim \frac{a^n}{n^k},\forall a,k \in \mathbb{N},a>1[/tex]
But I don't know how to prove it

May you kindly help me?

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
joao_pimentel said:
Hi guys

I know this limit goes to infinity

[tex]lim (3^n-n)[/tex]
But how do I demonstrate it?

Actually I know also that this type of limits goes to infinity

[tex]lim \frac{a^n}{n^k},\forall a,k \in \mathbb{N},a>1[/tex]
But I don't know how to prove it

May you kindly help me?

Many thanks

One glamorous way to prove it:

1) this is a positive sequence;

2) the series [itex]\displaystyle{\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{n^k}{a^n}}\,\,[/itex] converges (D'alembert or Cauchy n-root test, say), thus [itex]\,\,\displaystyle{\frac{n^k}{a^n}\to_{n\to\infty} 0}[/itex] , so...

DonAntonio

Very interesting :) Really

Is there any other proof, more common and less glamorous (without going into series)?

joao_pimentel said:
Very interesting :) Really

Is there any other proof, more common and less glamorous (without going into series)?

Another way: define [itex]f(x):=\frac{a^x}{x^k}\,\,[/itex], show this function has a min. at some point, after which the derivative is always

positive and thus the function's ascending, and since the function's always positive...

DonAntonio

But functions whose derivative is always positive after a certain minimum, don't mean they tend to infinity...

For example:

[tex]f(x)=-e^{-x}+1, x\geq 0[/tex]
[tex]f(x)=-x, x<0[/tex]

has a minimum at x=0 and after that is always ascending, though it tends to x=1

joao_pimentel said:
But functions whose derivative is always positive after a certain minimum, don't mean they tend to infinity...

Neither did I say so nor even hinted at it. Please do read again what I wrote, in particular the "always positive" thingy.

DonAntonio ***

For example:

[tex]f(x)=-e^{-x}+1, x\geq 0[/tex]
[tex]f(x)=-x, x<0[/tex]

has a minimum at x=0 and after that is always ascending, though it tends to x=1

Maybe with the second derivative which gives the concavity...

Thank you DonAntonio

I really apologise but I can't see the big picture...

Facts:

1. The function has a minimum at certain point
2. After that minimum the derivative is always positive
3. The function is always positive, i.e. f(x)>0, for all x in R

How do I conclude that it tends to infinity?

Sorry to bother...

Thank you very much

joao_pimentel said:
Thank you DonAntonio

I really apologise but I can't see the big picture...

Facts:

1. The function has a minimum at certain point
2. After that minimum the derivative is always positive
3. The function is always positive, i.e. f(x)>0, for all x in R

How do I conclude that it tends to infinity?

Sorry to bother...

Thank you very much

Well, I intended for you to complete the picture: since the function I used has no oblicuous and/or horizontal asymptotes, and since it is

always positive, if after some definite point is derivative is positive then the function must an ascending after that point, so

it MUST tend to [tex]\infty[/tex]

DonAntonio

Thank you very much DonAntonio

I confess I was not reaching the part of the asymptotes...

Thank you so very much indeed

Greetings from Lisbon

João

joao_pimentel said:
Thank you very much DonAntonio

I confess I was not reaching the part of the asymptotes...

Thank you so very much indeed

Greetings from Lisbon

João

Foi un prazer para mim.

DonAntonio

Muito obrigado mesmo pela atenção

Melhores cumprimentos

The way I like to think about these kinds of ratios (an/nk) is by using this:
[tex] \lim_{n\to \infty} \left( \frac{n+1}{n} \right)^k = 1[/tex]
So when n is a large enough number, an/nk might be very small, we don't know. But each time I increase n by one after this point, the numerator increases by a factor of a, and the denominator increases by a factor which is very close to 1 (say, less than a1/2). From that point on the value of an/nk grows by a factor of at least a1/2 each time you increase n by one

Very interesting thought, thank you very much...

1. What is a limit demonstration of sequence?

A limit demonstration of sequence is a mathematical method used to show the behavior of a sequence as the number of terms increases towards infinity. It helps to determine the ultimate value or limit that the sequence approaches.

2. How is a limit demonstration of sequence different from a limit demonstration of a function?

A limit demonstration of sequence focuses on the behavior of a sequence of numbers, while a limit demonstration of a function focuses on the behavior of a continuous mathematical function. However, both methods use the concept of approaching a limit as the input variable approaches a specific value.

3. What are the main steps involved in a limit demonstration of sequence?

The main steps involved in a limit demonstration of sequence are finding the general term of the sequence, determining whether the sequence is increasing or decreasing, and using specific theorems and properties to evaluate the limit as the number of terms approaches infinity.

4. What are some common examples of limit demonstration of sequence?

Some common examples of limit demonstration of sequence include finding the limit of a geometric sequence, such as determining the ultimate value of a bank account that earns compound interest, or finding the limit of a recursive sequence, such as determining the growth rate of a population.

5. Why is limit demonstration of sequence important in mathematics?

Limit demonstration of sequence is important in mathematics because it helps to determine the behavior and ultimate value of a sequence as the number of terms increases towards infinity. This concept is essential in many fields of mathematics, including calculus, statistics, and number theory.