1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit diverges or converges

1. Sep 21, 2008 #1
    integral 2/(x-6)^2 respects to x from 0 to 8. Shouldn't the answer to this be converges and is =-4/3. The true answer to this is it diverges towards infinity... can someone please explain.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2008 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

Two things to consider:

1. isn't there a number between [tex] 0 [/tex] and [tex] 8 [/tex] that could cause a problem?

2. The integrand [tex] 2/{(x-6)^2}[/tex] is positive throughout the interval of integration,
    so how could the integral be negative?

4. Sep 21, 2008 #3
    I think I've found the problem there should be an asymptote when x=6. My teacher never taught me to look for these.

5. Sep 21, 2008 #4

statdad

Homework Helper

Whether you are graphing, integrating, differentiating, or simply contemplating the function and its domain for their inherent beauty :rofl: you should always look for the possible existence, and influence of, an asymptote for rational functions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?