Proving Limit of (-2xy)/sqrt(x^2+y^2) at (0,0)

• Thread starter sinClair
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: Thanks for the help.In summary, Gib_Z tried taking iterated limits and showed they are not equal but still get 0. He also tried approaching (0,0) from various directions but that has not helped either. Can anyone help him out? Thanks.
sinClair

Homework Statement

For a problem I came down to having to show that the limit of (-2xy)/sqrt(x^2+y^2) does not exist as (x,y)->(0,0)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried taking iterated limits and showing they are not equal but I still get 0. I also tried approaching (0,0) from various directions i.e. setting x=y and x=y^2 but that has not helped either. Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
How about trying, x=-y.

PS. When you have an expression symmetrical in x and y, that is replacing every x by y and every y by x, gives the original expression, interchanging limits, taking x then y, then y then x, will always give the same result.

Agh, I actually posted the wrong limit. I actually meant (-2xy^2)/sqrt(x^2+y^2).

Gib_Z, even the original would go to 0 on the line y= -x so that does not help.

sinClair, are you sure you have the problem right? In fact, there is no way to prove the limit does not exist for the very good reason that it does exist! Notice that the "total power" in the numerator is greater than in the denominator: in the first fraction given, the power in the numerator is 2, in the denominator 1. In the second, with y2 instead of y, the power in the numerator is 3, in the denominator 1. That is enough to guarantee that the limit does exist and is 0.

One way to handle limits in 2 variables, especially when the limit is taken at (0,0), is to change to polar coordinates. In polar coordinates the single variable r measures the distance from (0,0). The limit exists if and only if the limit as r goes to infinity is independent of [itex]\theta[/itex]. Since [itex]x= r cos(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]y= r sin(\theta)[/itex], [itex]\sqrt{x^2+ y^2}= r[/itex] and your limit becomes
[tex]\frac{-2r^3 sin^2(\theta)cos(\theta)}{r}= -2r^2 sin^2(\theta)cos(\theta)[/itex] and that goes to 0 no matter what [itex]\theta[/itex] is.

So it turns out I was responsible for some bad arithmetic and got the limit expression wrong. I was really worried when you replied, Ivy! The actual limit is (-2xy^2)/(x^2+y^2)^(3/2) as (x,y)->(0,0).

Thanks for the response Ivy. I was not aware of that method of handling limits. But do you mean that "as r goes to 0 is independent of theta"?

I mean that the limit depends only on r, not on [itex]\theta[/itex]!

Now you have
[tex]\frac{-2xy^2}{(x^2+ y^2)^{3/2}}[/tex]

In polar coordinates that is
[tex]\frac{-2r^3 cos(\theta)sin^2(\theta)}{r^3}= -2 cos(\theta)sin^2(\theta)[/tex]

That has no "r" in it. It's limit depends upon [itex]\theta[/itex]- no matter how close to (0,0) you are, different values of [itex]\theta[/itex] will give different values to the function so there is no limit.

Of course, now that we finally have the correct formula, what you were doing will work:

If y= x,
[tex]f(x,y)= f(x,x)= \frac{-2x^3}{(2^{3/2}x^3}= -2^{-1/3}[/tex]
while if y= -x, x= -y and
[tex]f(x,y)= f(-y,y)= \frac{2y^3}{(2^{3/2}y^3}= 2^{-1/3}[/tex]

Since those are different, the limit does not exist.

Ok, got it.

1. What is the limit of (-2xy)/sqrt(x^2+y^2) as (x,y) approaches (0,0)?

The limit of (-2xy)/sqrt(x^2+y^2) at (0,0) is 0. This can be proven using the squeeze theorem, where the limit is bounded by 0 and 0.

2. How do you approach proving this limit at (0,0)?

To prove the limit of (-2xy)/sqrt(x^2+y^2) at (0,0), you can use the epsilon-delta definition of a limit. This involves showing that for any given epsilon, there exists a delta such that the distance between the function and its limit is less than epsilon when the distance between the input and the limit point is less than delta.

3. Can you use polar coordinates to prove this limit at (0,0)?

Yes, the limit of (-2xy)/sqrt(x^2+y^2) at (0,0) can also be proven using polar coordinates. By converting the function to polar coordinates and taking the limit as the radius approaches 0, you can show that the limit is 0.

4. What is the significance of proving this limit at (0,0)?

Proving the limit of (-2xy)/sqrt(x^2+y^2) at (0,0) is important in understanding the behavior of the function at this point. It can also be used in other mathematical calculations and proofs, as well as in applications such as physics and engineering.

5. Are there any real-world applications of this limit at (0,0)?

Yes, the limit of (-2xy)/sqrt(x^2+y^2) at (0,0) has real-world applications in fields such as physics and engineering. For example, it can be used to calculate the electric potential at the center of a charged disk or sphere, where the potential is given by (-2xy)/sqrt(x^2+y^2).