1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit evaluation

1. Nov 27, 2005 #1
    Would anybody solve this problem for me?

I've tried it for a long time, but don't seem to get the answer.
    I don't think I can apply L'Hospital's rule because the numerator is not zero or indeterminate while the denominator goes to zero

lim x-> -inf ((1+ e^(1/x))/e^x)

ok, if I assume the numerator is 1 - e^... and try to solve, I am not able to get rid of the e^x term

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

One of the very first things you should have learned about limits is that if the denominator of a fraction goes to 0 and the numerator does not, then the fraction does not have a limit!
  4. Nov 27, 2005 #3
    I think the answer is [tex] +\infty [/tex] because a number divided by 0 tends to infinity.
  5. Nov 27, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, the limit is "infinity" which is just a way of saying that the limit does not exist. It really bothers me to see "a number divided by 0 tends to infinity"! A number cannot be divided by 0 and there is no dividing by 0 in this problem because the denominator is never 0 for any value of x!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?