1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit Evaluation

1. May 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I had an exam last night and I was stuck on this problem.
    I went home where I had more time (and resources) and still can't figure it out, and I won't get my exam back (it was a final).

[itex]\lim_{x\to0}\frac{1}{x^{2}}-\frac{1}{xsinx}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have tried combining into one fraction, splitting up in to two separate limits, I can't use L'Hopital's as it is 1/inf.
    What am I missing? The rest of the exam was somewhat easy, but I didn't even know where to start!
    Can someone help me work though it? I think I just need help with a first step.
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2012 #2
    If you combine them into one fraction, then it's 0/0 right? Only problem is that you have to use L'Hopital 3 times to get the result.

4. May 7, 2012 #3
    Hello crybllrd write your expression in the following form:

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow0}-\frac{x^{2}sin(x)-xsin(x)^{2}}{x^{3}sin(x)^{2}}[/tex]

I think it should be clear from here on.

5. May 7, 2012 #4

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can combine ito one fraction and then apply L'Hopitals repeatedly.

Or you can do a series expansion.

6. May 7, 2012 #5
    How did you get the sin(x)2 in the denominator? If I multiply x2by xsin(x) I get x3sin(x).

7. May 7, 2012 #6
    I used l'hopital's rule 6 times, not 3 times.

8. May 7, 2012 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why would you do that? The "least common denominator" is [itex]x^2sin(x)[/itex]. Of course, you also do not get "[itex]x^2sin^2(x)[/tex]"!

[tex]\frac{1}{x^2}- \frac{1}{x sin(x)}= \frac{sin(x)}{x^2 sin(x)}- \frac{x}{x^2 sin(x)}[/tex]
    [tex]= \frac{sin(x)- x^2}{x^2 sin(x)}[/tex]

Now, you can use L'Hopital's rule on that, just once. Differentiating both numerator and denomimator separately you get
    [tex]\frac{cos(x)- 2x}{2x sin(x)+ x^2cos(x)}[/tex].

You do NOT get "1/infinity".

9. May 7, 2012 #8
    Ah, ok, I got -1/6.
    I don't remember why exactly I didn't get a good answer on the exam, but I think I was on like my 6th L'Hopital iteration and wasn't willing to spend any more time on a 4 point problem.
    Thanks guys, now I can rest easy this summer, as my brain is completely fried now!

10. May 7, 2012 #9
    Hi. As already other colleagues have stated,

[itex]\lim_{x\to0}[\frac{1}{x^{2}}-\frac{1}{xsinx}][/itex]

[itex]=\lim_{x\to0}\frac{1}{x^{2}}[ 1 - \frac{x}{sinx}][/itex]

[itex]=\lim_{x\to0}\frac{1}{x^{2}}[ 1 - \frac{1}{1 - \frac{x^{2}}{3!} + ...} ][/itex]

[itex]=\lim_{x\to0}\frac{1}{x^{2}}[ 1 - 1 - \frac{x^{2}}{3!} + ...][/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook