Evaluating Limit: Help with First Step

• Thread starter crybllrd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
=\lim_{x\to0}\frac{1}{x^{2}}[ - \frac{x^{2}}{3!} + ...] =\lim_{x\to0}-\frac{1}{3!}+ ...= -\frac{1}{6}+ ...=-\frac{1}{6}
crybllrd

Homework Statement

I had an exam last night and I was stuck on this problem.
I went home where I had more time (and resources) and still can't figure it out, and I won't get my exam back (it was a final).

[itex]\lim_{x\to0}\frac{1}{x^{2}}-\frac{1}{xsinx}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried combining into one fraction, splitting up into two separate limits, I can't use L'Hopital's as it is 1/inf.
What am I missing? The rest of the exam was somewhat easy, but I didn't even know where to start!
Can someone help me work though it? I think I just need help with a first step.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you combine them into one fraction, then it's 0/0 right? Only problem is that you have to use L'Hopital 3 times to get the result.

Hello crybllrd write your expression in the following form:

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow0}-\frac{x^{2}sin(x)-xsin(x)^{2}}{x^{3}sin(x)^{2}}[/tex]

I think it should be clear from here on.

You can combine ito one fraction and then apply L'Hopitals repeatedly.

Or you can do a series expansion.

mtayab1994 said:
Hello crybllrd write your expression in the following form:

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow0}-\frac{x^{2}sin(x)-xsin(x)^{2}}{x^{3}sin(x)^{2}}[/tex]

I think it should be clear from here on.

How did you get the sin(x)2 in the denominator? If I multiply x2by xsin(x) I get x3sin(x).

clamtrox said:
If you combine them into one fraction, then it's 0/0 right? Only problem is that you have to use L'Hopital 3 times to get the result.

I used l'hopital's rule 6 times, not 3 times.

crybllrd said:
How did you get the sin(x)2 in the denominator? If I multiply x2by xsin(x) I get x3sin(x).
Why would you do that? The "least common denominator" is [itex]x^2sin(x)[/itex]. Of course, you also do not get "[itex]x^2sin^2(x)[/tex]"!

[tex]\frac{1}{x^2}- \frac{1}{x sin(x)}= \frac{sin(x)}{x^2 sin(x)}- \frac{x}{x^2 sin(x)}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{sin(x)- x^2}{x^2 sin(x)}[/tex]

Now, you can use L'Hopital's rule on that, just once. Differentiating both numerator and denomimator separately you get
[tex]\frac{cos(x)- 2x}{2x sin(x)+ x^2cos(x)}[/tex].

You do NOT get "1/infinity".

Ah, ok, I got -1/6.
I don't remember why exactly I didn't get a good answer on the exam, but I think I was on like my 6th L'Hopital iteration and wasn't willing to spend any more time on a 4 point problem.
Thanks guys, now I can rest easy this summer, as my brain is completely fried now!

Hi. As already other colleagues have stated,

[itex]\lim_{x\to0}[\frac{1}{x^{2}}-\frac{1}{xsinx}][/itex]

[itex]=\lim_{x\to0}\frac{1}{x^{2}}[ 1 - \frac{x}{sinx}][/itex]

[itex]=\lim_{x\to0}\frac{1}{x^{2}}[ 1 - \frac{1}{1 - \frac{x^{2}}{3!} + ...} ][/itex]

[itex]=\lim_{x\to0}\frac{1}{x^{2}}[ 1 - 1 - \frac{x^{2}}{3!} + ...][/itex]

1. What is the first step in evaluating a limit?

The first step in evaluating a limit is to substitute the value that the variable approaches into the function or expression. This will give you a starting point for further calculations.

2. How do I know if a limit exists?

A limit exists if the values of the function or expression approach the same number from both the left and right sides of the value the variable is approaching. If the values do not approach the same number, then the limit does not exist.

3. Can I use direct substitution to evaluate a limit?

In some cases, yes. If the function or expression is continuous at the value the variable is approaching, then direct substitution can be used to evaluate the limit. However, if the function is not continuous, then direct substitution may not be accurate and other methods, such as factoring or algebraic manipulation, may need to be used.

4. What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the values of the function or expression from one side of the value the variable is approaching (either the left or the right). A two-sided limit considers the values from both sides. One-sided limits are used when the function or expression is not continuous at the value, while two-sided limits are used when the function is continuous.

5. How can I determine the value of a limit algebraically?

There are several methods for determining the value of a limit algebraically, including factoring, using algebraic properties, and using special limit formulas. It is important to consider the behavior of the function or expression as the variable approaches the value and use the appropriate method based on that behavior.