Solving Integral Limit: \lim_{n \to \infty } \int_{0}^{1}

In summary, the question is: determine the limit above exactly of the integral of the function f(x) over the interval [0,1]. The answer is that f(x) is Riemann integrable over this interval and that the sum of the squares of the derivatives of f(x) with respect to x is also Riemann integrable.
testito
hello guy ; i have a bizarre question in limit of integral , the question is :

determine :

[itex]\lim_{n \to \infty } \int_{0}^{1} \frac{nf(x)}{n^{2} + x^{2}} dx[/itex]

i don't know really when start and when i finish , please tell me how do this and if you can give me some tutorial for this scope !

Physics news on Phys.org
i forget to tell you that f is continue on interval [0,1] !

The only idea I have is to argue that since f is continuous on a closed interval, then f is bounded. Perhaps you could use the Squeeze Theorem?

Unit said:
The only idea I have is to argue that since f is continuous on a closed interval, then f is bounded. Perhaps you could use the Squeeze Theorem?
Unit has it right. Once you realize that f(x) is bounded, the computation becomes trivial (no need for the squeeze theorem).

I suggested squeeze because f(x) could be negative; saying A >= f and A --> L does not imply f --> L, unless f >= B and B --> L also.

can you determine the limit above exactly please !
look the second question in this exercise is :

prove that f is Riemann integrable in [0,1] and :

[itex]\int_{0}^{1} f(x) dx = \lim_{n \to \infty }\frac{1}{n}\sum_{k=0}^{n} f(\frac{k}{n})[/itex]

can this help you for help me !

i'm really confused !

Unit said:
I suggested squeeze because f(x) could be negative; saying A >= f and A --> L does not imply f --> L, unless f >= B and B --> L also.
I agree that the squeeze theorem would be the way to formally proceed. However, it all depends on how rigerous one needs to be. Since the question only wants us to "determine" rather than prove, I would be tempted to do it by inspection and argue that since f(x) and x are bounded on the domain of intergation and n is large ...
testito said:
can you determine the limit above exactly please !
look the second question in this exercise is :

prove that f is Riemann integrable in [0,1] and :

[itex]\int_{0}^{1} f(x) dx = \lim_{n \to \infty }\frac{1}{n}\sum_{k=0}^{n} f(\frac{k}{n})[/itex]

can this help you for help me !

i'm really confused !
We will not do your homework for you, but we will help you along the way.

We will not do your homework for you, but we will help you along the way.
is not a homework however , is just a bizarre exercise that i meet !

1. What is an integral limit?

An integral limit is a mathematical concept that involves finding the value of an integral as the variable approaches a specific limit. It involves evaluating the integral function at different values of the variable and observing the behavior as the variable gets closer and closer to the limit.

2. How is an integral limit solved?

To solve an integral limit, you need to first evaluate the integral function at different values of the variable. As the variable approaches the limit, you can use techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities to simplify the integral and find its value.

3. What is the significance of the limit in an integral limit?

The limit in an integral limit represents the behavior of the integral function as the variable gets closer and closer to a specific value. It helps us understand the behavior of the function and find its value at that limit.

4. What is the importance of the interval in an integral limit?

The interval in an integral limit represents the range of values over which the integral is being evaluated. In other words, it determines the boundaries of the integral and affects the value of the integral limit.

5. How can integral limits be applied in real life?

Integral limits have various applications in real life, such as in economics, physics, and engineering. For example, they can be used to calculate the area under a curve, which can represent the total profit for a business or the displacement of an object over time. Integral limits also have applications in probability and statistics, where they can be used to find the probability of an event occurring within a specific range of values.