Can a Right Triangle be Solved Without Any Given Values?

In summary, the individual is seeking clarification on using the laws of sine and cosine and the Pythagorean theorem to solve a problem involving a right triangle. After receiving guidance, their motivation to solve the problem has been renewed.
Whateverworks
Hello mathematicians!

I've recently completed a trigonometry course online and find the subject to be of great interest.
I find the laws of sine and cosine fascinating and extremely useful and also, of course, Pythagoras theorem is beautiful as well.

Firstly, I claim no superior knowledge here so if I say something wrong please correct me, that is why I am here.

Now to my question. As I have understood it, for one to make use of the laws of sine or cosine one needs to have some values to get started. I have a hard time figuring out if that is correct. I have used the last days trying to solve a problem I have given myself - however I seem lost and that may be because it's unsolvable!

If I know that a+b+c = x, and that a2+b2+c2=y, in a right triangle, what is the value of a, b and c, respectively.

For a specific case let's say, a+b+c = 70, and that a2+b2+c2=1682

Now if this is solvable I request that you do not post the answer by any means, I simply need to know if that can be solved and I will try again.

Thanks a lot,

//WeW.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I just realized I posted this in the wrong sub-forum, my bad!

I request that an admin delete this thread. I have created it in the right sub-forum now.

Sorry again.

//WeW

Whateverworks said:
Hello mathematicians!

I've recently completed a trigonometry course online and find the subject to be of great interest.
I find the laws of sine and cosine fascinating and extremely useful and also, of course, Pythagoras theorem is beautiful as well.

Firstly, I claim no superior knowledge here so if I say something wrong please correct me, that is why I am here.

Now to my question. As I have understood it, for one to make use of the laws of sine or cosine one needs to have some values to get started. I have a hard time figuring out if that is correct. I have used the last days trying to solve a problem I have given myself - however I seem lost and that may be because it's unsolvable!

If I know that a+b+c = x, and that a2+b2+c2=y, in a right triangle, what is the value of a, b and c, respectively.

For a specific case let's say, a+b+c = 70, and that a2+b2+c2=1682
Without using the fact that we're talking about a right triangle, the two equations above have an infinite number of solutions. You have two equations in three unknowns, so one of the unknowns is unconstrained.

However, since we're talking about a right triangle, we get a third equation -- a2 + b2 = c2, or equivalently ##c = \sqrt{a^2 + b^2}##. I am assuming that c represents the length of the hypotenuse. These equations can be used to simplify the system of three variables into a system of two equations involving only a and b, which you can solve for unique solutions for a and b.

Whateverworks said:
Now if this is solvable I request that you do not post the answer by any means, I simply need to know if that can be solved and I will try again.

Thanks a lot,

//WeW.

Mark44 said:
Without using the fact that we're talking about a right triangle, the two equations above have an infinite number of solutions. You have two equations in three unknowns, so one of the unknowns is unconstrained.

However, since we're talking about a right triangle, we get a third equation -- a2 + b2 = c2, or equivalently ##c = \sqrt{a^2 + b^2}##. I am assuming that c represents the length of the hypotenuse. These equations can be used to simplify the system of three variables into a system of two equations involving only a and b, which you can solve for unique solutions for a and b.

That is absolutely amazing. Thank you Sir, my motivation for solving this problem is back up! May you have a good Friday evening.

Hello! I can tell you that your understanding is correct - in order to use the laws of sine and cosine, you do need to have some values to get started. Without any given values, it is impossible to solve for the unknown sides and angles in a right triangle. However, if you have at least one known side or angle, you can use the laws of sine and cosine to solve for the rest of the unknowns.

In the specific case you mentioned, a+b+c = 70 and a2+b2+c2 = 1682, it is not possible to solve for the values of a, b, and c. This is because the two given equations are not enough to determine the three unknowns. You would need at least one more piece of information, such as an angle measure or another side length, to solve for a, b, and c.

I hope this helps clarify things for you! If you have any further questions or need more assistance, please don't hesitate to ask. Keep exploring and learning about trigonometry - it truly is a fascinating subject. Best of luck with your studies!

1. What is the limit for the hypotenuse of a right triangle?

The limit for the hypotenuse of a right triangle is infinity. This means that there is no maximum length for the hypotenuse of a right triangle.

2. Is there a limit for the acute angles of a right triangle?

Yes, the limit for the acute angles of a right triangle is 90 degrees. This is because the sum of the angles in any triangle is always 180 degrees, and in a right triangle, one angle is always 90 degrees.

3. Can a right triangle have a zero length for one of its sides?

No, a right triangle cannot have a zero length for one of its sides. The Pythagorean theorem states that the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. If one side has a length of zero, the theorem would not hold true.

4. What is the smallest possible area for a right triangle?

The smallest possible area for a right triangle is zero. This would occur when one of the sides has a length of zero, resulting in a degenerate triangle with no area.

5. Is there a limit for the perimeter of a right triangle?

There is no specific limit for the perimeter of a right triangle. It can vary depending on the lengths of the sides. However, as the length of one side approaches infinity, the perimeter will also approach infinity.