Limit 0 < ( x − a ) < δ Help

• Thread starter misogynisticfeminist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the author is trying to prove that the limit for the function f(x) = 4x-3 is 5, but they can't seem to get there. They state that the proof is done, but they don't show it. They say that the proof is done if and only if there exists a value for \delta such that if 0<|x-a|< \delta, then |f(x)-L|< \epsilon. They give an example of when this would be true, which is when x is close to 2.
misogynisticfeminist
This is a worked example in the book, but i can't figure out why it is this way.

Using [tex] 0 < (x-a) < \delta [/tex] and [tex] (f(x)-L) < \epsilon [/tex] for [tex] lim_(x\rightarrow a) f(x) = L [/tex].

Prove that [tex] lim_{x\rightarrow2} (4x-3) = 5 [/tex]

I can understand the steps until

[tex] {4} (x-2) < \epsilon [/tex] and [tex] 0 < (x-2) < \delta [/tex]

then, they suddenly get, [tex] \epsilon = \delta/4 [/tex]...

Cant really understand how they arrive at there, and they don't even show that the the limit is 5.

I'm self taught too, so my understanding might be a little wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a}f(x)=L[/tex]
means in words
f(x) can be made as close to L as desired by making x sufficiently close to a.
(I will use d and h instead of greak leters)
so we want f(x) close to L
that is we chose some h>0 and we desire that
|f(x)-L|<h
when x is close to a
we make this concrete by saying
|f(x)-L|<h
whenever
0<|x-a|<d(h)
that is we look for a condition on the closeness to a that will assure f(x) is close to L. In general this condition depends upon h.
so in the problem at hand
f(x)=4x-3
a=2
L=5
so
|f(x)-L|=|4x-3-5|=|4x-8|=4|x-2|<h
this is assured if
|x-2|<h/4
by definition (if the limit exist) the condition is expressed
0<|x-2|<d(h)
d(h)=h/4
thus we have proven the given limit
any smaller d(h) would also do
so d(h)=h/9999999999999999
for example would do
the idea is just we want to bound f(x) near a
we know f(1.999)=4.996 say
or f(about 2)=about 5
so we want to know for what x is 4x-3 within h of 5
we see that it will be true when |x-2|<h/2
or we could say
5-|h|<f(2+h/4)<5+|h|
so we have a relation between closeness of x to a and closeness of f(x) to L
for example
5-.004<f(1.999)<5+.004

misogynisticfeminist said:
This is a worked example in the book, but i can't figure out why it is this way.

Using [tex] 0 < (x-a) < \delta [/tex] and [tex] (f(x)-L) < \epsilon [/tex] for [tex] lim_(x\rightarrow a) f(x) = L [/tex].

Prove that [tex] lim_{x\rightarrow2} (4x-3) = 5 [/tex]

I can understand the steps until

[tex] {4} (x-2) < \epsilon [/tex] and [tex] 0 < (x-2) < \delta [/tex]

then, they suddenly get, [tex] \epsilon = \delta/4 [/tex]...

Cant really understand how they arrive at there, and they don't even show that the the limit is 5.

First- BE CAREFUL! It is important to state definitions precisely. There are two errors I see in:
The first is that you don't say how those inequalities are to be used! The second is that you are missing the absolute values signs.
The precise definition is: [tex] lim_(x\rightarrow a) f(x) = L [/tex] if and only if, for any [tex]\epsilon>0[/tex], there exist [tex]\delta> 0[/tex] such that if [tex]0<|x-a|< \delta[/tex] then [tex]|f(x)-L|< \epsilon[/tex].

Here, a= 2, f(x)= 4x- 3, and L= 5. In order to show that that definition holds (that the limit really is 5) we must show that, for any [tex]\epsilon> 0[/tex] such a [tex]\delta[/b] really does exist. The best way to do that is to show how to find it!

We want[\b] [tex]|f(x)-L|= \epsilon[/tex].
But |4x-3-5|= |4x- 8|= 4|x-2| so that is the same as [tex]4|x-2|< \epsilon[/tex] or [tex]|x-2|< \frac{\epsilon}{4}[/tex].
Now compare that with [tex]|x-2|< \delta[/tex]! Looks like a good choice for [tex]\delta[/tex] would be [tex]\frac{\epsilon}{4}[/tex] doesn't it?

In fact, we can do exactly that. A "strict" proof would be: given [tex]\epsilon>0[/tex], let [tex]\delta= \frac{\epsilon}{4}[/tex]. Then if [tex]|x-2|< \delta[/tex], [tex]|x- 2|< \frac{\epsilon}{4}[/tex] so that [tex]4|x-2|< \epsilon[/tex].
But then [tex]|4x- 8|= |4x-3-5|= |f(x)- L|<\epsilon[/tex] which what we needed to show.

You are right to be a little puzzled because your book did not do it that way. Instead of starting from "let [tex]\delta= \frac{\epsilon}{4}[/tex]", as I did here, your text, like most texts, did the "preliminary part" "If I want [tex]|f(x)- L|< \epsilon[/tex], how can I find [tex]\delta[/tex]" and worked the opposite way. That is sometimes called "synthetic proof": start from what you want to show and arrive at something you know (or can make) true. Strictly speaking, a proof should go the other way- from what you know is true to what you want to prove!

However, as long as everything you do is reversible (If you can go from [tex]4|x-2|< \epsilon[/tex] to [tex]|x-2|< \frac{\epsilon}{4}[/tex], you can certainly go from [tex]|x-2|< \frac{\epsilon}{4}[/tex] to [tex]4|x-2|< \epsilon[/tex].) then just doing it one way implies the other way.

Last edited by a moderator:

What does the expression "Limit 0 < ( x - a ) < δ" mean?

The expression "Limit 0 < ( x - a ) < δ" refers to the limit of a function as the variable x approaches the value of a. It also states that the difference between x and a must be smaller than the value of δ.

Why is it important to have a limit of 0 < ( x - a ) < δ?

Having a limit of 0 < ( x - a ) < δ is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function at a specific point. It allows us to determine if a function is continuous at that point and can also help us solve problems involving rates of change.

How do you find the limit 0 < ( x - a ) < δ?

To find the limit 0 < ( x - a ) < δ, you can use the squeeze theorem or direct substitution. The squeeze theorem involves finding two other functions that are always greater than or equal to the original function and always less than or equal to the original function. Direct substitution involves plugging in the value of a for x in the function and simplifying.

What is the significance of δ in the limit 0 < ( x - a ) < δ?

The value of δ in the limit 0 < ( x - a ) < δ represents the distance between x and a. It determines the size of the interval in which x can vary while still approaching the value of a. A smaller value of δ results in a tighter interval and a more accurate limit.

What are some real-world applications of the limit 0 < ( x - a ) < δ?

The limit 0 < ( x - a ) < δ has many real-world applications, such as determining the speed of an object at a specific time, calculating the rate of change of a population, or finding the optimal solution to a problem. It is also commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze various systems.