Limit of Multivariable Function | Squeeze Theorem Example

In summary, the given problem involves evaluating a limit using the squeeze theorem. The limit is equivalent to \lim_{(w,y)\rightarrow(0,0)} \frac{wy}{w^2 + y^2} and it is suspected that the limit is 0. It is suggested to simplify the problem by changing variables and considering different directions for approaching the limit point.
clandarkfire

Homework Statement

Hi, I have to evaluate the following limit:
[tex]\lim_{(x,y) \to (1,0)}\frac{x*y-y}{(x-1)^2+y^2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

I'm pretty sure I have to use the squeeze theorem.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the fact that the top factors like this:
[tex]\lim_{(x,y) \to (1,0)}\frac{y(x-1)}{(x-1)^2+y^2}[/tex]
I'm really new to the squeeze theorem so I don't really know how to use it. I believe I have to find some function comparable to this one that is equal to it or greater than it for all values of x and y and one that is equal or less for all values of x and y. Then I have to prove that both have the same limit, so this function must have it as well.
Oh, and I suspect the limit is 0.
Can someone give me a hand, please?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would be looking for an argument that the limit doesn't exist.

You can simplify the problem via a change of variables: let w = x-1. Then the above limit is equivalent to

[tex]\lim_{(w,y)\rightarrow(0,0)} \frac{wy}{w^2 + y^2}[/tex]

What happens if you let [itex](w,y) \rightarrow (0,0)[/itex] from different directions?

Doh! Thank you. I graphed it and it appeared that it did exist, but I see now I graphed the wrong thing.

1. What is a limit in multivariable calculus?

A limit in multivariable calculus is the value that a function approaches as the input variables approach a specific point. In other words, it is the value that the function "approaches" or gets closer and closer to, but may never actually reach, as the input variables get closer and closer to a particular point.

2. How is a limit in multivariable calculus different from a limit in single variable calculus?

A limit in multivariable calculus involves functions with more than one input variable, whereas a limit in single variable calculus only involves one input variable. This means that in multivariable calculus, the function may approach a different limit depending on the direction in which the input variables are approaching the point, while in single variable calculus, the limit will be the same regardless of the direction of approach.

3. How can I determine the limit of a multivariable function?

To determine the limit of a multivariable function, you can use the same methods as in single variable calculus, such as finding the limit algebraically or graphically. However, in multivariable calculus, you may also need to consider the limit along different paths or approaches to the point, as the limit may be different depending on the direction of approach.

4. What is a "path" or "approach" in multivariable calculus?

In multivariable calculus, a path or approach refers to the specific direction in which the input variables are approaching the point. This is important because the limit of a function may be different depending on the path or approach taken.

5. Why are limits important in multivariable calculus?

Limits are important in multivariable calculus because they allow us to understand the behavior of a function as it approaches a particular point. They also help us to determine continuity, differentiability, and other important properties of multivariable functions. Additionally, limits play a crucial role in the development of many other concepts in multivariable calculus, such as partial derivatives and multiple integrals.