1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit involving delta-epsilon proof

1. Nov 6, 2008 #1
    Hi, Everyone,

Problem asks to prove that limit of x^2 * sin^2 (y) / (x^2 + 2* y^2) as (x,y) approach (0,0) is 0 using delta-epsilon method. I think I solved it below. Let me know if I am write or wrong.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2008 #2
    I am sorry for the previous post. The solution I have arrived at is actually below.[​IMG]

4. Nov 6, 2008 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Something easy you can do is pick some numbers to see if it works. Pick a value for epsilon that's fairly small, such as 0.1. Now pick a point (x, y) that is within delta (= epsilon) of (0,0). Is the value of your first expression less than epsilon?

Now pick a smaller number for epsilon, such as 0.01, and repeat the process as above. This doesn't prove that you have selected the right value of delta, but if you find that the process doesn't give the results you want, then you know you haven't found the right delta.

5. Nov 6, 2008 #4
    I understand your explanation. However, I would appreciate it if you could go over the logic of my solution and answer the question conclusively (i.e. to the best of your knowledge) if my solution is correct or not. Thank you for your time and effort.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?