1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit involving trigonometry

1. Oct 17, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "Calculate the following limit if it exists. If it does not exist, motivate why.
    [itex] \displaystyle\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} {\frac{x + x^2 +\sin(3x)}{tan(2x) + 3x}} [/itex]

Do not use l'Hôpital's rule."

2. Relevant equations
    [itex](1) \sin(a\pm b) = \cos(a)\sin(b)\pm\cos(b)\sin(a) [/itex]

[itex](2) \cos(a\pm b) = \cos(a)\cos(b)\mp\sin(a)\sin(b) [/itex]

[itex](3) \displaystyle\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} {\frac{\sin(x)}{x}} = 1 [/itex]

[itex](4) \tan(x) = \frac{\sin(x)}{\cos(x)} [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried expressing the trigonometrics in terms of [itex]\sin(x)[/itex] and [itex]\cos(x)[/itex], but it just got messier without helping me in any way.

This isn't me just jumping on these forums as soon as I can't find the answer; I have genuinely been trying to solve this problem and looking over my methods much more than once.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try L'Hospital's rule.

4. Oct 17, 2014 #3
    Ah! Forgot to mention: L'Hôpital's rule is prohibited on this exercise. Sorry, I'll add it to the post.

5. Oct 17, 2014 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Divide both the numerator and denominator by x. Use that the limit of sin(kx)/(kx) is zero if x goes to zero and k is a constant.

ehild

6. Oct 17, 2014 #5
    Thanks, I'll try that. Don't you mean the limit [itex] \displaystyle\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} {\frac{\sin(x)}{x}} = 1 [/itex] though?

7. Oct 17, 2014 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, I meant that, but you have sin3x and sin(2x) so consider the limit of sin(kx)/x .

8. Oct 18, 2014 #7
    Thank you for the help, I solved it yesterday by dividing numerator and denominator by 3x and realizing that 3x = 2x * 1.5.

9. Oct 18, 2014 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Clever! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted