Solving "lim x->2 (t^3 - 8)/(t^4 - 16)

In summary, the student was trying to solve an equation for homework but was stuck because he was missing a factor in the numerator. After some research he found that t4 - 16 is not equal to t2 - 2 and was able to solve the equation by factoring.
faen

Homework Statement

lim x->2 (t^3 - 8)/(t^4 - 16)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, i just can't find the common factor in the numerator and denomenator. I can split (t^4 - 16) to (t^2 - 2)^4 but i can't find any other factors in the numerator.

Thx for any help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
faen said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Well, i just can't find the common factor in the numerator and denomenator. I can split (t^4 - 16) to (t^2 - 2)^4 but i can't find any other factors in the numerator.

multiply by a conjugate or try (t^2+4)(t^2-4)

There's a rather obvious common factor there. Try factorising 8 and 16.
Alternatively you could use l'Hôpital's rule

Yeah i tried (t^2+4)(t^2-4), but i can't find the same factor in the numerator. The t^3 term complicates the matter cause what can i multiply with itself to get t^3 without getting a more complicated factor.. In other words, I am unable to express; (t^3 - 8) in any other way.

I tried conjugate but didnt work for me, and we didnt learn L'Hopitals yet so not allowed to ues it.

faen said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

t4 - 16 [itex]\neq[/itex](t2 - 2)4
Note that the polynomial on the left side is of degree 4, while the one on the right is of degree 8. That should have been a clue that something is wrong.

You should be thinking "difference of squares" and "difference of cubes" for your factoring.

faen said:
Yeah i tried (t^2+4)(t^2-4), but i can't find the same factor in the numerator. The t^3 term complicates the matter cause what can i multiply with itself to get t^3 without getting a more complicated factor..
t2 - 4 can be factored. Also, the difference of cubes can be factored. a3 - b3 = (a - b)(a2 + ab + b2).
faen said:
I tried conjugate but didnt work for me, and we didnt learn L'Hopitals yet so not allowed to ues it.

Mark44 said:
t4 - 16 [itex]\neq[/itex](t2 - 2)4
Note that the polynomial on the left side is of degree 4, while the one on the right is of degree 8. That should have been a clue that something is wrong.

You should be thinking "difference of squares" and "difference of cubes" for your factoring.

Ah, yeah, i was thinking that it would equal to (t^2 - 4)^2 but the minus sign would be different among the factors.

Anyway i still can't figure it out, can u help me a bit more :p?

Mark44 said:
t2 - 4 can be factored. Also, the difference of cubes can be factored. a3 - b3 = (a - b)(a2 + ab + b2).

now i think i got it.. thanks a lot! :D

Ok i found that (t-2)(t^2 +2t +4) = t^3 - 8, and now the two t-2 factors in the numerator and denomenator cancels. however I am still stuck with (t^2 - 4) factor which tends to 0 while t tends to 2. So I am stuck again.

If someone could just solve the: lim x->2 (t^3 - 8)/(t^4 - 16) itd be of great help.

Last edited:
faen said:
Ok i found that (t-2)(t^2 +2t +4) = t^3 - 8, and now the two t-2 factors in the numerator and denomenator cancels. however I am still stuck with (t^2 - 4) factor which tends to 0 while t tends to 2. So I am stuck again.

If someone could just solve the: lim x->2 (t^3 - 8)/(t^4 - 16) itd be of great help.

Then your factoring of t4 - 16 is incorrect. Show me how you factored this.

you are right, ok i finally solved it. Thanks :)

What is the given limit?

The given limit is 2.

How do I solve this limit?

To solve this limit, you can use algebraic manipulation and the properties of limits. First, factor the numerator and denominator to get (t-2)(t^2+2t+4)/(t-2)(t^3+2t^2+4t+8). Then, simplify the expression by cancelling out the common factor of (t-2). This leaves you with (t^2+2t+4)/(t^3+2t^2+4t+8). Finally, plug in the given limit of 2 to get the answer of 1/4.

Why is this limit important?

Limits are important in calculus because they allow us to describe the behavior of a function as it approaches a certain point. In this case, the limit is used to find the value of the function at the specific point of x=2.

Can I use a graph to solve this limit?

Yes, you can use a graph to help you visualize the behavior of the function as it approaches the given limit. However, algebraic manipulation and the properties of limits are still necessary to find the exact value of the limit.

Are there any special cases for solving this limit?

Yes, there are special cases for solving this limit. One special case is when the denominator is equal to 0. In this case, the limit does not exist. Another special case is when the numerator and denominator are both equal to 0. In this case, you may need to use L'Hopital's rule to solve the limit.