1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of a centroid of area

1. Mar 25, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Okay, so the idea here is to take the centroid bounded by the x-axis and 1-x^n. N should be an even and positive integer. We should take the limit as n approaches infinity of both the x- and y-coords of the centroid, hopefully ending up with (0, 1/2).

2. Relevant equations
    Formula for a centroid: A = integral of f(x), Mx = integral of xf(x), My = integral of f(x)^2 over 2. All of them should be definite integrals with the same "a" and "b" - I picked 0 and 1 and multiplied the whole thing by two since it appears to be an even function.

Then you divide Mx/A for your x-coord, My/A for your y-coord, and take the limit.

3. The attempt at a solution

See above. I am doing these steps over and over again but keep ending up with the same weird things. I get (n+1)/2(n+2) for my Mx/A, and this long convoluted thing for My/A - 1-2n+1/n+1 + 1/2n+1 / 2(1 - 1/n+1). This would be fine except the limit for Mx/A seems to be 1/2, when it really should be 0, and I'm certainly not getting a limit of 1/2 for My/A.

Thanks for your help guys.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2013 #2
    Without seeing all your steps, its kind of hard to see where you could have gone wrong. It may be algebra. If you could; could you show how you got those expressions for Mx/A and My/A? Pictures of your work would suffice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted