• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Limit of a function

Homework Statement

Does lim x-> -2 (3x2+ax+a+3)/(x2+x-2) exist?

If so, find the limit.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried factorizing the denominator to (x+2)(x-1), but then I don't know how to proceed on the exercise. I have seen that the limit exists when the numerator equals 0, but why is this (the denominator is also 0)? Does 0/0 exist at all?
Code:

Answers and Replies

Homework Statement

Does lim x-> -2 (3x2+ax+a+3)/(x2+x-2) exist?

If so, find the limit.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried factorizing the denominator to (x+2)(x-1), but then I don't know how to proceed on the exercise. I have seen that the limit exists when the numerator equals 0, but why is this (the denominator is also 0)? Does 0/0 exist at all?
What value of a would make the numerator zero when x = -2?

When both numerator and denominator are zero (i.e., the indeterminate form 0/0), it's usually because there is a factor in common between the top and bottom. Although not certain, there's a good chance that a limit exists.

Likes 1 person
What value of a would make the numerator zero when x = -2?

When both numerator and denominator are zero (i.e., the indeterminate form 0/0), it's usually because there is a factor in common between the top and bottom. Although not certain, there's a good chance that a limit exists.
a = 15.

So that means I just have to learn that by heart? Isn't there sort of a formal proof to test that? On the other hand, how do you know there's a factor in common between the top and bottom knowing that numerator and denominator are zero?

Thank you for your answer.

I don't think you need to memorize what I said - just be aware that if a limit has the form "0/0" you're not done yet. "0/0" is not a value - it is an indeterminate form, which means that you can't determine a value. All of the limits below have this form, but they have wildly different limit values.

$$\lim_{x \to 0}\frac {x^2}{x} = 0$$
$$\lim_{x \to 0}\frac {x}{x} = 1$$
$$\lim_{x \to 0^+}\frac {x}{x^2} = \infty $$

Note that in the 3rd limit, the two-sided limit doesn't exist, and that's the reason I am using the one-sided limit, the limit as x approaches zero from the right.

As far as a theorem goes, the only one that comes to mind is L'Hopital's Rule, which is applicable in cases with the indeterminate forms 0/0 and ±∞/∞.

verty
Homework Helper
After you have factored the denominator, factor the numerator (or use Mark44's shortcut).

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
On the other hand, how do you know there's a factor in common between the top and bottom knowing that numerator and denominator are zero?
There's a theorem that says that if p(x) is a non-constant polynomial and p(a)=0, then p(x) can be factored into p(x)=(x-a)q(x), where q(x) is another polynomial. In this problem both the numerator and denominator are polynomials; therefore, if they both equal 0 at x=-2, they have (x-(-2)) as a common factor.

I'm sorry to hijack the thread, but does this mean that i have to learn as a general rule if the denominator is 0 (in the case of the limit), I have to solve the numerator for 0 and find the values that I can factorize? Thank you.

verty
Homework Helper
I'm sorry to hijack the thread, but does this mean that i have to learn as a general rule if the denominator is 0 (in the case of the limit), I have to solve the numerator for 0 and find the values that I can factorize? Thank you.
I would say no, you don't have to do that. You must try to factorize the numerator IF it goes to 0.