1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of a matrix sequence

1. Feb 10, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the limit as ##n \to \infty ## of ##U_n(a) =\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & a/n \\ 0 & -a/n & 1 \end{pmatrix}^n##, for any real ##a##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I find ##U =\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & \cos a & \sin a \\ 0 & -\sin a & \cos a \end{pmatrix}## but I'm not too sure. Do you think it is correct ?

I wrote ##U_n(a) = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & (C_n(a))^n \end{pmatrix} ##, where ## C_n(a) = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & a/n \\ -a/n & 1 \end{pmatrix}##

Then I diagonalized ##C_n(a)## in ##M_2(\mathbb{C})## so that

##U_n(a) = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & P \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & (D_n(a))^n \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & P^{-1} \end{pmatrix} ##

with ##D_n(a) = \begin{pmatrix} 1+ia/n & 0 \\ 0 & 1 - ia/n \end{pmatrix} ##, ##P = \begin{pmatrix} i & i \\ -1 & 1 \end{pmatrix}##, and ##P^{-1} = \frac{1}{2i}\begin{pmatrix} 1 & -i \\ 1 & i \end{pmatrix} ##

and then ##(D_n(a))^n \to \begin{pmatrix} e^{ia} & 0 \\ 0 & e^{-ia} \end{pmatrix}##

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

How did you get the limits? Beside the ##1## all terms include increasing powers of ##\frac{1}{n}##.

4. Feb 10, 2016 #3
    Honestly I have extrapolated to the complex numbers the fact that ## (1+x/n)^n \to e^x ## for any real ##x##. I didn't think too much about it. But now you ask I would say something like

## | (1+ ia/n)^n - e^{ia}| = | \sum_{k=0}^n (\frac{n(n-1)...(n-k+1)}{n^k} - 1) i^k \frac{a^k}{k!} - \sum_{k> n}i^k \frac{a^k}{k!}| ##

and by the triangle inequality
    ##| (1+ ia/n)^n - e^{ia}| \le \sum_{k=0}^n |\frac{n(n-1)...(n-k+1)}{n^k} - 1| \frac{|a|^k}{k!} + \sum_{k> n} \frac{|a|^k}{k!}##

The second term converges to 0 as ##n\to \infty## as it is the rest of a convergent sum
    The first term also converges to 0 as for any ##\epsilon >0## there exist ##N\in\mathbb{N}## such that ## n\ge N \Rightarrow |\frac{n(n-1)...(n-k+1)}{n^k} - 1| \le \epsilon ## and the term ## \sum_{k=0}^n \frac{|a|^k}{k!} ## is bounded by ## e^{|a|} ##.

Hope it is correct

5. Feb 10, 2016 #4

fresh_42

You cannot take the real sequence and pretend the complex would behave in the same way.
    Btw ##\begin{pmatrix} n \\ k \end{pmatrix} = \frac{n(n-1) \cdot ... \cdot (n-k+1)}{1 \cdot ... \cdot k} ≠ \frac{n(n-1) \cdot ... \cdot (n-k+1)}{n^k} ##.
    But you can take your formulas and calculate ##C_n(a)^n = P \cdot D_n(a)^n \cdot P^{-1}##.
    This results in sums of ##(1+iα)^n## and ##(1-iα)^n## (with some ##±i## coefficients) and ##α=\frac{a}{n}##.
    Now expand both with the binomial formula and look what cancels out due to ##i^n##.
    What's left should converge and since ##U## is real the limit should as well be real.

My first approach was simply calculating some powers of ##U, C##, resp.
    If I made no mistakes there are many terms of increasing powers of ##α##.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  6. Feb 10, 2016 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well done, clearly presented and a pleasure to read. To satisfy #2 you might mention that ##(1 + ia/n)^n \to e^{ia}##, etc.

7. Feb 10, 2016 #6

fresh_42

Edit: I've seen it now. Sorry. (Where has my delete option gone to?)

8. Feb 11, 2016 #7
    Thank you !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted