1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of a Reimann Sum

1. Nov 11, 2013 #1

Qube

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

https://scontent-b-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/1419845_10201044047645089_1286462043_n.jpg?oh=adc74f67f112c0697cbfba79b4fa81fc&oe=5283F9AB

2. Relevant equations

delta x = (b-a)/n

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, from the delta x formula I can figure out the limits of integration. They're 4 and 0. That leaves us with three possible answer choices. I'm suspecting that the 4i/n term goes away and the answer is B, but I really don't know and I'm not even sure where to begin.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You have the interval [0, 4] that you will divide into n subintervals of equal length. How would you write xi, the x value in the i-th subinterval? The x value could be at the left or right end of a given subinterval, or somewhere in the middle of it.

4. Nov 11, 2013 #3

Qube

Gold Member

I'm not sure what terms to write xi in terms of. I guess, (x/n) would give me the width of each subinterval and I'm not sure what else.

5. Nov 11, 2013 #4

Mark44

No, the width of each subinterval would be 4/n. Since the summation has cos(2 + ...), that's going to show up in the integral as well.

6. Nov 12, 2013 #5

Qube

Gold Member

So the integral would have cos (2+x) as the integrand?

7. Nov 12, 2013 #6

Mark44

Yes. Do you see how it works? Since i is running from 1 to n, 4i/n represents the x value at the right side of each subinterval, and cos(2 + 4i/n) is the function value associated with that x value.

8. Nov 12, 2013 #7

Qube

Gold Member

Alright, I see :)! 4/n is the width of each sub interval. The i represents each sub interval.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted