1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of a sequence 2

1. May 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    the sequence is an = (cos(n))^2 / 2^n

2. Relevant equations
    none really

3. The attempt at a solution
    like i mentioned in my last post, i usually use l'hopitals or dividing by the largest exponent from the denominator. here, i dont see why i would want to use l'hopitals, so thats out of the question. i cant really divide by the largest exponent. is there a way i could break this down or something?

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2012 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

What's the maximum value the numerator can take?

4. May 3, 2012 #3
    1. so that means the bottom is always going to be larger.
    can i just write on my hw like ..

(cos(n))^2 < 1, for all n
    as n approaches infinity, 2^n gets large.
    small # / large # = 0

5. May 4, 2012 #4

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Yes, although I would write [itex]\cos^2 n \leq 1 \forall n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex]. The strict inequality is actually true because the only values of n that give you a value of exactly one are zero and multiples of [itex]\pi[/itex] and you're dealing with natural numbers here, but proving it is not worth the trouble, and is unnecessary here.

So just write that, and [itex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} 2^n = \infty[/itex], so the quotient tends to zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook