Limit of a sequence from Knopp

In summary, the author suggests solving the problem by subtracting the kth power of the nth power of x from 1, and then taking limit.
mikepol
Hi,

I've been skimming through Knopp's book "Theory and Applications of Inifnite Series", mostly to get some practice with sequences/series. The problems there are pretty hard, I've been trying to do this one without much success. It is from Chapter 2, 15(b): show that the following sequence converges to 1/2

[tex]\log\left(1+\frac{1}{n^2}\right) + \log\left(1+\frac{2}{n^2}\right) + ... + \log\left(1+\frac{n}{n^2}\right)[/tex]

Does anyone have an idea how to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh! I've spent quite a lot of time on this problem, and right after I posted this I got a solution, but it's ugly, I'm not sure if Knopp would have liked it :)
Basically I expressed this as a product and then divided it into d groups, where d is some integer held constant for now. Each group then has n/d elements. Then I bounded the product above and below by approximating each group with its upper and lower element, and then took limit on n of each group. Then as d is taken larger and larger, the two bounds become tighter and approach exp(1/2). So if P_n is the product appearing when all logs are conglomerated together, and for fixed d:

[tex]\left(1+\frac{1}{n^2}\right)^{n/d} \left(1+\frac{1}{dn}\right)^{n/d} \ldots \left(1+\frac{(d-1)}{dn}\right)^{n/d} < P_n < \left(1+\frac{1}{dn}\right)^{n/d} \ldots \left(1+\frac{d}{dn}\right)^{n/d} [/tex]

And then take limit on n, with d fixed constant, so can take limit of each product individually:

[tex]e^{1/d^2} e^{2/d^2} \ldots e^{(d-1)/d^2} < P_n < e^{1/d^2} \ldots e^{d/d^2} [/tex]

[tex]\exp(\frac{d-1}{2d}) < P_n < \exp(\frac{d+1}{2d}) [/tex]

So as d is taken larger and larger, the two sides approach exp(1/2), and log of that will give 1/2.

Can anyone come up with a nicer solution?

Define

[tex]g(k,n)=\log\left[1+\frac{k}{n^2}\right]-\frac{k}{n^2}\qquad k=1,\dots,n[/tex]

It is easy to show that

[tex]|g(k,n)|\leq |g(n,n)|\qquad k=1,\dots,n[/tex]

and that

[tex]|ng(n,n)|\rightarrow 0\qquad\textrm{for}\quad n\rightarrow\infty[/tex]

So

[tex]\left|\sum_{k=1}^n\log\left[1+\frac{k}{n^2}\right]-\frac{1}{2}\right|=\left|\sum_{k=1}^n\left(\frac{k}{n^2}+g(k,n)\right)-\frac{1}{2}\right|\leq\frac{n+1}{2n}-\frac{1}{2}+|ng(n,n)|\rightarrow 0\qquad\textrm{for}\quad n\rightarrow\infty[/tex]

Last edited:
Hi Petr,

Wow!... This is a type of solution I was looking for but couldn't get myself. I don't think I could have come up with this idea of subtracting k/n^2, such that g(k,n) can be bounded by g(n,n), but still being o(1/n), so that their total contribution goes to zero. What sort of argument has led you to consider this? I think I tried to apply everything from the second chapter and nothing worked.

Thanks a lot for your help.

mikepol said:
Hi Petr,

Wow!... This is a type of solution I was looking for but couldn't get myself. I don't think I could have come up with this idea of subtracting k/n^2, such that g(k,n) can be bounded by g(n,n), but still being o(1/n), so that their total contribution goes to zero. What sort of argument has led you to consider this? I think I tried to apply everything from the second chapter and nothing worked.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Well, the first thing that you think when you see a log is the first order Taylor expansion [tex]\log(1+x)=x+o(x)[/tex], so it's quite natural to try writing (I'm a physician, so I don't care about rigour)

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{n}\log\left(1+\frac{k}{n^2}\right)=\sum_{k=1}^{n}\left[\frac{k}{n^2}+o\left(\frac{1}{n^2}\right)\right]=\frac{n+1}{2n}\,+\,n\,o\left(\frac{1}{n^2}\right)=\frac{n+1}{2n}\,+\,o\left(\frac{1}{n}\right)\rightarrow \frac{1}{2}\qquad\textrm{for}\qquad n\rightarrow\infty[/tex]

After you have written this (which is not entirely correct), you have to translate it in "mathematiquees" and you end up more or less with what I wrote in the other post.

Last edited:

1. What is the limit of a sequence?

The limit of a sequence is the value that the terms of the sequence approach as the number of terms increases towards infinity.

2. How is the limit of a sequence calculated?

The limit of a sequence can be calculated by finding the value that the terms tend towards as the number of terms increases, or by using specific formulas such as the squeeze theorem or the Cauchy criterion.

3. What is the significance of the limit of a sequence?

The limit of a sequence is important in understanding the behavior and convergence of a sequence. It can determine if a sequence is convergent or divergent, and if it converges, it can help determine the specific value that the terms approach.

4. Can the limit of a sequence be infinite?

Yes, the limit of a sequence can be infinite if the terms of the sequence increase or decrease without bound. This is known as a divergent sequence.

5. How does the limit of a sequence relate to the concept of a function limit?

The limit of a sequence is similar to the concept of a function limit, as both involve finding the value that a sequence or a function approaches as the input or number of terms increases towards a specific value. However, the methods and formulas used to calculate these limits may differ.