• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Limit of a sequence n!/n^n

• Thread starter Tomp
  • Start date
Homework Statement

Using the sandwich rule (which i understand) find the limit of n!/nn

The attempt at a solution

To my knowledge n! is the fastest growing function you can have, so I immediately thought the function did not have a limit, however, the answer states the limit to be 1

I know that the bound on n! would be 1 =< n! < inf (?) but then dividing through by nn doesn't really help.

I am stuck :/

What am I doing wrong?

Answers and Replies

FALSE ALARM

After a bit of searching on the internet, the answer in the book is wrong. phew!

Answer is 0 as i initially thought

DryRun
Gold Member
What limits did you compare it to, for the Sandwich theorem?

Homework Statement

Just asking what the limit of f(x) is, gives no meaning. You need to specify to what value n approaches?

Just asking what the limit of f(x) is, gives no meaning. You need to specify to what value n approaches?
apologies as n approaches infinity

What limits did you compare it to, for the Sandwich theorem?
i said the lower limit for n! was 1 and the upper limit was infinity....

apologies as n approaches infinity
Aye, 0 is correct, then. :smile:

If, supposedly, n->0, then the limit would be 1 :wink:

To my knowledge n! is the fastest growing function you can have
From this reasoning(incorrect), I don't see how you got 0 as your answer though....

DryRun
Gold Member
i said the lower limit for n! was 1 and the upper limit was infinity....
And how did you end up with those limits? Just curious. :smile:

Homework Statement

To my knowledge n! is the fastest growing function you can have, so I immediately thought the function did not have a limit, however, the answer states the limit to be 1

I know that the bound on n! would be 1 =< n! < inf (?) but then dividing through by nn doesn't really help.

What am I doing wrong?
Isn't it quite intuitive that 0 is correct?

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Homework Statement

To my knowledge n! is the fastest growing function you can have
Then your knowlege is incorrect. n! is the product of n terms each less than or equal to n. [itex]n^n[/itex] is the product of n terms, each equal to n. For all n, [itex]n!< n^n[/itex].

, so I immediately thought the function did not have a limit, however, the answer states the limit to be 1

What am I doing wrong?

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
Homework Statement

What am I doing wrong?

n! is NOT the fastest growing function you can have; there are infinitely many functions that grow much faster than n! (for example, (n!)^2 or exp(n!) or n^(n!) to name a few).

Anyway, do you know Stirling's formula? It says
[tex] n! \sim \sqrt{2 \pi}\: n^{n + 1/2} e^{-n}, [/tex] for large n, where "~" means "is asymptotic to", which in turn means that the ratio of the two sides has limit 1 as n → ∞. Thus, [tex] \frac{n!}{n^n} \sim \sqrt{2 \pi} \: \sqrt{n} e^{-n} \rightarrow 0[/tex] as [itex] n \rightarrow \infty.[/itex].

If you feel a bit suspicious about the use of "~" you can squeeze the ratio between two easily-analyzed expressions, because the original Stirling approximation can be turned into a rigorous pair of inequalities that are true for all n > 1:
[tex] \sqrt{2 \pi}\: n^{n + 1/2} e^{-n} < n! < \sqrt{2 \pi} \: n^{n + 1/2} e^{-n + (1/(12 n))} \:\:\forall n > 1. [/tex] For a simple proof, see,. eg., W. Feller, "Introduction to Probability Theory and its Applications", Volume I, Wiley (1968).

RGV

Last edited: