1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of a sequence problem

1. Jan 4, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the sequence given by [itex]b_{n} = n - \sqrt{n^{2} + 2n}[/itex]. Taking [itex](1/n) \rightarrow 0[/itex] as given, and using both the Algebraic Limit Theorem and the result in Exercise 2.3.1 (That if [itex](x_n) \rightarrow 0[/itex] show that [itex](\sqrt{x_n}) \rightarrow 0[/itex]), show [itex]\lim b_{n}[/itex] exists and find the value of the limit.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]b_{n} = n - \sqrt{n^{2} + 2n}[/itex] and [itex](1/n) \rightarrow 0[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Does the [itex](1/n) \rightarrow 0[/itex] imply that I should put bn in the form 1/n? Going in that direction, I'm stuck at [tex]\frac{-2n}{n + \sqrt{n^{2} + 2n}}[/tex] Am I going in the right direction? And if so, any hints on how to further manipulate what I have? I'm self-studying, and do not have a professor or mentor or anything to give me a bit of direction.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2016 #2

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That certainly seems a right direction. Maybe divide both numerator and denominator by ##n##, and take the ##\frac{1}{n}## into the square root.

4. Jan 4, 2016 #3
    YES! That is the hint I needed! Thank you SO much!!!

5. Jan 4, 2016 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can write ##\sqrt{n^2+2n} = \sqrt{n^2} \, \sqrt{1 + (2/n)} = n \sqrt{1 + (2/n)}##. Since you know that ##\lim_{n \to \infty} \sqrt{1+(2/n)} = 1##, it follows that for any (small) number ##r > 0## we have ##1 \leq \sqrt{1+(2/n)} < 1 + r## for all ##n## larger than some number ##N = N_r##. Therefore, for all ##n> N## we have that the denominator of your ratio above lies between ##n + n = 2n## and ##n + n(1+r) = n(2+r)##. Therefore the ratio itself lies between ##-2/2 = -1## and ##-2/2(1+r/2) = -1/(1 + (r/2))##. Therefore, the limit, ##L## is a number that is ## \geq -1## and ##\leq -1/(1+(r/2))##, no matter how small the positive number ##r## that you choose. For example, if ##r = 0.00002## we have ##-1 \leq L <-1/1.00001##. If ##r = .00000000002## then we have ##-1 \leq L < 1/1.00000000001##, etc. Basically, ##L## must be -1; there is no other possible choice.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  6. Jan 5, 2016 #5
    Thank you SO much! I hadn't even thought to use ##\sqrt{n^{2} + 2n} = \sqrt{n^{2}} \sqrt{1 + \frac{2}{n}}##!
    Using my fraction, I somehow got that the limit of ##b_{n}## was -2. I see where my mistake was. When I used [tex]\frac{\frac{-2n}{n}}{\frac{n + \sqrt{n^{2} + 2n}}{n}} = \frac{-2}{1 + \frac{\sqrt{n^2 + 2n}}{n}}[/tex] and then setting the limit as ##n \rightarrow \infty##, I made the mistake of assuming that ##lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{\sqrt{n^{2} + 2n}}{n} = 0## when that is not true.
    Doing it your way, I have ##lim_{n \to \infty} b_{n}## = -1, as do you.

Thank you so much!!
    The things you learn when you reach out for help!

7. Jan 9, 2016 #6
    You can also do it by induction, much harder and not needed here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted