What is the Limit of the Sequence b_n = n - sqrt(n^2 + 2n)?

In summary, b_{n} = n - \sqrt{n^{2} + 2n} and (1/n) \rightarrow 0 implies that I should put bn in the form 1/n. Going in that direction, I'm stuck at \frac{-2n}{n + \sqrt{n^{2} + 2n}} Am I going in the right direction? And if so, any hints on how to further manipulate what I have? I'm self-studying, and do not have a professor or mentor or anything to give me a bit of direction.That certainly seems a right direction. Maybe divide both numerator and denominator by ##n##, and take the ##\frac
QuantumP7

Homework Statement

Consider the sequence given by [itex]b_{n} = n - \sqrt{n^{2} + 2n}[/itex]. Taking [itex](1/n) \rightarrow 0[/itex] as given, and using both the Algebraic Limit Theorem and the result in Exercise 2.3.1 (That if [itex](x_n) \rightarrow 0[/itex] show that [itex](\sqrt{x_n}) \rightarrow 0[/itex]), show [itex]\lim b_{n}[/itex] exists and find the value of the limit.

Homework Equations

[itex]b_{n} = n - \sqrt{n^{2} + 2n}[/itex] and [itex](1/n) \rightarrow 0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Does the [itex](1/n) \rightarrow 0[/itex] imply that I should put bn in the form 1/n? Going in that direction, I'm stuck at [tex]\frac{-2n}{n + \sqrt{n^{2} + 2n}}[/tex] Am I going in the right direction? And if so, any hints on how to further manipulate what I have? I'm self-studying, and do not have a professor or mentor or anything to give me a bit of direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
QuantumP7 said:
[tex]\frac{-2n}{n + \sqrt{n^{2} + 2n}}[/tex] Am I going in the right direction? And if so, any hints on how to further manipulate what I have? I'm self-studying, and do not have a professor or mentor or anything to give me a bit of direction.
That certainly seems a right direction. Maybe divide both numerator and denominator by ##n##, and take the ##\frac{1}{n}## into the square root.

Likes QuantumP7
YES! That is the hint I needed! Thank you SO much!

QuantumP7 said:

Homework Statement

Consider the sequence given by [itex]b_{n} = n - \sqrt{n^{2} + 2n}[/itex]. Taking [itex](1/n) \rightarrow 0[/itex] as given, and using both the Algebraic Limit Theorem and the result in Exercise 2.3.1 (That if [itex](x_n) \rightarrow 0[/itex] show that [itex](\sqrt{x_n}) \nrightarrow 0[/itex]), show [itex]\lim b_{n}[/itex] exists and find the value of the limit.

Homework Equations

[itex]b_{n} = n - \sqrt{n^{2} + 2n}[/itex] and [itex](1/n) \rightarrow 0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Does the [itex](1/n) \rightarrow 0[/itex] imply that I should put bn in the form 1/n? Going in that direction, I'm stuck at [tex]\frac{-2n}{n + \sqrt{n^{2} + 2n}}[/tex] Am I going in the right direction? And if so, any hints on how to further manipulate what I have? I'm self-studying, and do not have a professor or mentor or anything to give me a bit of direction.
You can write ##\sqrt{n^2+2n} = \sqrt{n^2} \, \sqrt{1 + (2/n)} = n \sqrt{1 + (2/n)}##. Since you know that ##\lim_{n \to \infty} \sqrt{1+(2/n)} = 1##, it follows that for any (small) number ##r > 0## we have ##1 \leq \sqrt{1+(2/n)} < 1 + r## for all ##n## larger than some number ##N = N_r##. Therefore, for all ##n> N## we have that the denominator of your ratio above lies between ##n + n = 2n## and ##n + n(1+r) = n(2+r)##. Therefore the ratio itself lies between ##-2/2 = -1## and ##-2/2(1+r/2) = -1/(1 + (r/2))##. Therefore, the limit, ##L## is a number that is ## \geq -1## and ##\leq -1/(1+(r/2))##, no matter how small the positive number ##r## that you choose. For example, if ##r = 0.00002## we have ##-1 \leq L <-1/1.00001##. If ##r = .00000000002## then we have ##-1 \leq L < 1/1.00000000001##, etc. Basically, ##L## must be -1; there is no other possible choice.

Last edited:
Likes QuantumP7
Ray Vickson said:
You can write ##\sqrt{n^2+2n} = \sqrt{n^2} \, \sqrt{1 + (2/n)} = n \sqrt{1 + (2/n)}##. Since you know that ##\lim_{n \to \infty} \sqrt{1+(2/n)} = 1##, it follows that for any (small) number ##r > 0## we have ##1 \leq \sqrt{1+(2/n)} < 1 + r## for all ##n## larger than some number ##N = N_r##. Therefore, for all ##n> N## we have that the denominator of your ratio above lies between ##n + n = 2n## and ##n + n(1+r) = n(2+r)##. Therefore the ratio itself lies between ##-2/2 = -1## and ##-2/2(1+r/2) = -1/(1 + (r/2))##. Therefore, the limit, ##L## is a number that is ## \geq -1## and ##\leq -1/(1+(r/2))##, no matter how small the positive number ##r## that you choose. For example, if ##r = 0.00002## we have ##-1 \leq L <-1/1.00001##. If ##r = .00000000002## then we have ##-1 \leq L < 1/1.00000000001##, etc. Basically, ##L## must be -1; there is no other possible choice.

Thank you SO much! I hadn't even thought to use ##\sqrt{n^{2} + 2n} = \sqrt{n^{2}} \sqrt{1 + \frac{2}{n}}##!
Using my fraction, I somehow got that the limit of ##b_{n}## was -2. I see where my mistake was. When I used [tex]\frac{\frac{-2n}{n}}{\frac{n + \sqrt{n^{2} + 2n}}{n}} = \frac{-2}{1 + \frac{\sqrt{n^2 + 2n}}{n}}[/tex] and then setting the limit as ##n \rightarrow \infty##, I made the mistake of assuming that ##lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{\sqrt{n^{2} + 2n}}{n} = 0## when that is not true.
Doing it your way, I have ##lim_{n \to \infty} b_{n}## = -1, as do you.

Thank you so much!
The things you learn when you reach out for help!

You can also do it by induction, much harder and not needed here.

What is the definition of a limit of a sequence?

The limit of a sequence is the value that the terms of the sequence approach as the index of the terms increases without bound.

How is the limit of a sequence different from the limit of a function?

The limit of a sequence is a numerical value, while the limit of a function is a point on the graph of the function. Additionally, the limit of a sequence is evaluated as the index of the terms approaches infinity, while the limit of a function is evaluated as the input value approaches a specific point.

What is the notation used to represent the limit of a sequence?

The limit of a sequence is typically represented using the notation "lim n→∞ an", where "an" is the sequence and "n" is the index of the terms.

How is the limit of a sequence calculated?

The limit of a sequence is calculated by finding the pattern or trend of the terms as the index increases. This can be done analytically by using mathematical techniques such as the squeeze theorem or the ratio test, or numerically by plugging in larger and larger values for the index of the terms.

Why is the limit of a sequence an important concept in mathematics?

The limit of a sequence is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of a sequence as it approaches infinity. It is used in various fields of mathematics, such as calculus and analysis, and has many real-world applications in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.