1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of a sequence

1. Sep 18, 2007 #1
    Problem: Find the limit of the sequence

[tex]a_{n}=\frac{n^{2}2^{n}}{n!}[/tex]

My first thought was to say that

[tex]0\leq \frac{n^{2}2^{n}}{n!} \leq \frac{x^n}{n!} [/tex]

and by squeeze theorem, since [tex]\frac{x^n}{n!}=0[/tex] for all real x, my original limit must be 0 as well. Now all I need to do is prove that [tex]n^{2}2^{n} \leq x^n[/tex], which is where I'm stuck. Can anyone give me a hand? Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2007 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Rearrange to n^2 < (x/2)^n.

4. Sep 18, 2007 #3

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

What is x? Is [tex]0\leq \frac{n^{2}2^{n}}{n!} \leq \frac{x^n}{n!} [/tex] even true?

You might break up the numerator and denominator into their respective factors and look at the ratios that are formed. I believe you'll find that some have specific values, others have finite values in the limit n-> inf. , and others go to zero in the limit.

5. Sep 18, 2007 #4

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not for any x and any n; but I think n^2 2^n < x^n as n --> +infinity.

6. Sep 18, 2007 #5
    Sorry if it seems stupid, but I'm horrible at proofs, and am still coming up a bit short on proving [tex]n^2 \leq {(\frac{x}{2})}^n[/tex]

I mean it seems fairly obvious that this is true to me, and more obvious still when I begin writing it out term by term for increasing n, but is this good enough to state it conclusively?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  7. Sep 18, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

dynamicsolo's advice is a bit better. Write it as n*n*4*2^(n-2)/(n*(n-1)*(n-2)!). Does that suggest anything?

8. Sep 18, 2007 #7
    I must be missing something obvious, because I've tried that as well with pretty much no success. :frown:

9. Sep 18, 2007 #8

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

I'm suggesting that you write each factor in the numerator over a factor in the denominator and then consider each ratio you've formed. An example:

(e^n)/(n!) = (e·e·...·e)/[n·(n-1)·...·3·2·1] ;

there are n factors each in the numerator and denominator, so you can also write this as

(e/n)·(e/n-1)·...·(e/3)·(e/2)·(e/1).

In the case of our ratio, there are (n+2) factors in the numerator and only n in the denominator, so we will need to set aside two factors upstairs -- two of the 2s may be best. Now look at your ratio as a product of factors and recall that the limit of a product of terms is the product of the limits of the terms.

Remember also that since we want the limit of the sequence a-sub-n, we are looking for the limit of this product as n-> infinity.

10. Sep 18, 2007 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What are the limits of n/n, n/(n-1) and coup de grace 2^(n-2)/(n-2)!, I thought you said you knew x^n/n! -> 0. x=2 and if n->infinity, n-2->infinity.

11. Sep 18, 2007 #10
    I got it. Thank you all, you've been a big help.

12. Sep 18, 2007 #11

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

*thuds head with heel of hand, causing skull to emit dull, hollow sound*

I just thought of something else: what is

lim n->inf. of abs([tex]\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}}[/tex])?

We know the terms of this sequence are positive and you'll find this limit tends to zero. Thus the limit of the sequence is zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?