1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of a sequence

1. Jul 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the limit of the sequence
    { sqrt(2), sqrt(2sqrt(2)), sqrt(2sqrt(2sqrt(2))) ... }

2. Relevant equations
    Limit Laws?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I wrote out the first five values in the sequence and came to the conclusion that this sequence could be written out as

[tex]A_{n} = 2^\frac{2^{n}-1}{2^{n}}[/tex]

I then took [tex]\frac{2^{n}-1}{2^{n}}[/tex], broke it down to [tex]1 - \frac{1}{2^{n}}[/tex] which allowed me to rewrite the equation to [tex]2\times2^\frac{-1}{2^{n}}[/tex]. Ignoring the 2 for now, I re-worked the fraction exponent and resulted with [tex]-(\frac{1}{2})^{n}[/tex] and made the value into a fraction [tex]\frac{1}{2^(\frac{1}{2})^{n}}[/tex].

Using the sheer power of what is known as the graphing calculator, I was able to determine that the limit of that equation is 1, and then multiplying 2 to it gave 2. Without a calculator, how can I lay out the steps?

Note to self: BUY A TABLET!!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2008 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Won't it be enough to calculate limit of

[tex]1 - \frac 1 {2^n}[/tex]

Seems rather obvious. But then I am mathematically challenged and could be I am missing some fine print.

4. Jul 26, 2008 #3

Defennder

Homework Helper

Yeah I believe Borek is right.

5. Jul 26, 2008 #4
    I will outline a solution. The details are your job.

There's a much simpler way of writing the sequence as a recurrence relation. Use this way.

First show that each term is less than a certain constant. Next demonstrate that the sequence is increasing. Hence show the sequence is convergent with some undetermined limit L.

The continuity of a certain function (which one?) will allow you to take limits of both sides of the recurrence relation.

The exact value of the limit L should now be in sight. I'll leave the rest up to you.

I will outline a solution. The details are your job.

There's a much simpler way of writing the sequence as a recurrence relation. Use this way.

First show that each term is less than a certain constant. Next demonstrate that the sequence is increasing. Hence show the sequence is convergent with some undetermined limit L.

The continuity of a certain function (which one?) will allow you to take limits of both sides of the recurrence relation.

The exact value of the limit L should now be in sight. I'll leave the rest up to you.

If you're up for the challenge, you might also try to find the set of all x such that the sequence {x, x^x, x^(x^x), ...} is convergent.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?