1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Limit of a sequence

1. Jun 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that the limit of the sequence {Sqrt(n+1)-Sqrt(n)} = 0.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that I must multiply by the conjugate to come up with 1/(Sqrt[n+1]-Sqrt[n]) and that the limit of this is clearly 0. I am having trouble solving this equation in terms of epsilon.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2010 #2
    Be careful of the sign; multiplying by the conjugate gives you 1/{sqrt(n+1) + sqrt(n)}. For all ε > 0, there exists 1/m < ε for some positive integer m. (Why?) How should you choose N so that 1/{sqrt(n+1) + sqrt(n)} < 1/m < ε whenever n > N?

4. Jun 8, 2010 #3
    Ah, yes, the sign. Thank you! Now... To choose N, can I ignore the sqrt(n) part of the denominator since sqrt(n+1) > sqrt(n) so, being in the denomominator, the number is smaller? So could I let N = (1/epsilon^2) - 1?

5. Jun 8, 2010 #4
    That should work fine; by convention we let N be an integer, so you can set N to be the ceiling of what you have.

6. Jun 8, 2010 #5
    Thank you!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook