1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of a sequence

1. Sep 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    let (Xn) be a sequence in R. Let (An) be a sequence defined as An=(X1 +X2+...Xn-1+Xn)/n. (Xn) is a convergent sequence and the limit of Xn as n goes to infinity is L. Prove (An) in convergent sequence and that the limit is also L.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What have you tried? Where are you stuck.

Write out the first few terms of (An).

4. Sep 5, 2011 #3
    A1=X1, A2= (X1+X2)/2, A3=(X1+X2+X3)/3.... I HAVE A THM IN MY BOOK THAT SAYS IF THE SUMMATION OF A SEQUENCE Xn CONVERGES THEN THE LIMIT OF Xn is 0. So I first assumed that the limit of Xn is not 0 the the numerator of An does not converge. But that does not really help. Im trying to figure out which convergence theorem to use........

5. Sep 5, 2011 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So the n-th term, An, is the average of the first n terms of sequence (Xn).

6. Sep 5, 2011 #5
    right!!! But I am still stuck...

7. Sep 5, 2011 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to put together an argument using the definition of limit here. Pick an epsilon, how would find an N such that the average of the terms up to k is within epsilon of L for all k>N? The initial terms in the sequence may not be close to L, the later ones have to be. You need to take both groups into account.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook