Limits of a Sequence Homework: Find and Prove Answer

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit of two sequences, a_n=[1/n] and a_n=[(10+n)/2n]. The first sequence converges to zero and can be proven by picking a large enough n to make 1/n less than epsilon. The second sequence also converges to zero, but at a slower rate due to the greatest integer function. It can be proven by finding an N such that n > N makes 5/n less than 1/2, which results in the sequence equaling zero.
cragar

Homework Statement

Let [x] be the greatest integer ≤x. For example [itex] [\pi ]=3 [/itex]
and [3]=3
Find [itex] lim a_n [/itex] and prove it.
a) [itex] a_n=[\frac{1}{n}] [/itex]
b) [itex] a_n=[\frac{10+n}{2n}] [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

for the first one it will converge to zero.
so can I write [itex] \frac{1}{n}< \epsilon [/itex]
then I can just pick an n large enough to make that work.
for part b, it also looks like it will converge to zero, but a little slower.
so [itex] \frac{10+n}{2n}< \epsilon [/itex] and then solve for n in terms of ε.
Or is there something I am not taking into account with the greatest integer deal?

Physics news on Phys.org
for the first one:

you are NOT trying to "solve for ε in terms of n", but rather, the other way around. you need to find a (possibly large) value for N so that n > N makes 1/n "small" (less than epsilon). epsilon is arbitrary, but assumed as given.

for the second one, i would note that:

(n+10)/2n = 1/2 + 5/n.

if you find an N such that n > N means 5/n < 1/2,

wouldn't [(n+10)/2n] = 0 for all such n?

it seems to me the floor function "speeds up" the convergence, instead of making it slower.

thanks for your help, ok
so on the second one [itex] .5+\frac{5}{n} < \epsilon [/itex]
so then I just pick an n large enough to make it less than epsilon.

1. What is the definition of a limit of a sequence?

A limit of a sequence is the value that the terms of a sequence approach as the index approaches infinity. In other words, it is the value that the terms of the sequence get closer and closer to, but may never actually reach.

2. How do you prove the limit of a sequence?

There are several methods for proving the limit of a sequence, including the epsilon-delta definition, the monotone convergence theorem, and the squeeze theorem. The method used will depend on the specific sequence and its properties.

3. What is the importance of understanding the limits of a sequence?

Understanding the limits of a sequence is important in many areas of mathematics, including calculus, analysis, and number theory. It allows us to make predictions about the behavior of a sequence and to solve problems related to infinite series and functions.

4. Can the limit of a sequence be infinite?

Yes, the limit of a sequence can be infinite. This occurs when the terms of the sequence increase or decrease without bound, meaning that they get larger and larger or smaller and smaller without ever reaching a specific value.

5. What are some common misconceptions about limits of a sequence?

One common misconception is that the limit of a sequence must always be a number. As mentioned in the previous question, the limit can also be infinite. Another misconception is that the limit must always exist, but there are some sequences that do not have a limit. Additionally, the limit of a sequence may not be equal to the value of the sequence at a particular index, which can be confusing for some students.