1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of a sequence

1. May 20, 2012 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

infƩn=0 cos(m*n*pi)/(n+1)
    where m is a fixed integer. Determine the values of m, such that the series converges. Explain your reasoning in detail.

The attempt at a solution

I have figured out that cos(n*pi)/(n+1) can be represented as ((-1)^(n+1))/(n+1) (as it bounces back and forth from -1 to 1) and by the alternating series test, this converges.

However, I am unsure how to explain what m would do this.

I believe as m is an integer the cos(n*m*pi) term can't equal zero (need m = 1/2 and n=1 ect) so no matter what value m is, the sequence would converge, as the cos term can't be greater than -1 or 1? so m is any real integer (bit like n, though n is positive). Is this a bit trivial?

***And sorry, I understand this is a Series not a sequence***

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2012 #2

sharks

Gold Member

Hi Tomp
    [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\frac{\cos (mn\pi)}{n+1}[/tex] is actually a series, not a sequence.

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  4. May 20, 2012 #3
    yeah sorry, can't change the heading. hoping people would pick up on my correction in my edit

5. May 20, 2012 #4

sharks

Gold Member

You could prove that the limit has to be zero if the series converges, according to the nth-term test.

Try the squeeze theorem to show that the sequence is equal to zero, then solve for m.

I get [itex]m=\frac{1}{n\pi}[/itex]

6. May 20, 2012 #5
    I have never learnt about the squeeze theorem sorry. We have learnt about the alternating, ration, comparison tests.

And m has to be an integer :/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook