1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of a sequence

1. Mar 7, 2005 #1
    i had this problem in my book that i wasn't able to do. I kinda had the idea of what it involved but just wanted to clear it up with you guys.
    So the problem is:
    Suppose that an ->L and bn ->L. Show that a1,b1,a2,b2,... converges to L.

So here it seems to me like i can obviously define a new sequence cn, like that in the pinching theorem. But using other definitions(epsilon, etc.) of sequences, how do i come up with a proof of this.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2005 #2
    Fix an epsilon. That a_n and b_n converge to L implies there is some N (take each sequence individually, choose an M and M' for each, take the bigger of the two and double that) such that whenever n>N both a_(n/2) and b_(n/2) are within epsilon of L (and therefore c_n is within epsilon of L).

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  4. Mar 8, 2005 #3
    could someone check this proof for me and tell me what is missing as i m not sure if i know anymore:(problem stated above)
    Proof:
    If a_n ->L and b_n ->L for some L, then for any eps>0 there is a K such that for all n, if n>K, then |a_n - L|<eps/2 and |L - b_n|<eps/2.
    Since n>K, |a_n - b_n|</= |a_n - L| + |L - b_n|<eps/2 + eps/2 =eps.
    (now to show that it is bounded)
    If eps=1, then |a_n - b_n|<1 for some n>K.
    This means |a_n - b_K+1|<1 for all n>K.
    Thus {a_n:n>K} and {b_n:n>K} are bounded.
    So a_n ->L and b_n->L.
    -------

5. Mar 8, 2005 #4
    I don't think you have to show anything is bounded. That will follow automatically once you prove the limit is L. What you want to do is define the sequence by [tex]\{c_n\}_{n\in \mathbb{N}}[/tex] by [tex]c_n=a_{[(n+1)/2]}[/tex] if n is odd and [tex]c_n=b_{(n/2)}[/tex] if n is even. Now fix an epsilon > 0. There are N and M such that whenever n>N, a_(n+1)/2 is within epsilon of L and whenever n>M b_(n/2) is within epsilon of L. Take the bigger of the two, let's say it is P. Then whenever n>P, both a_(n+1)/2 and b_(n/2) are within epsilon of L. That is, whenever n>P, c_n is within epsilon of L.
    (sorry for the sloppier version of this above)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?