1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of a Sequence

1. Jan 23, 2014 #1
    Hello again,

I am having trouble with a particular limit problem and would appreciate any help/pointers you can offer. The question is asking for the nth term of the sequence [tex]2, \frac{3}{2}, \frac{4}{3}, \frac{5}{4}[/tex]

.. and also asks for a limit of the sequence. My immediate guess was to apply l'hopital's rule, which would mean setting n to approach infinity and using something like this:

[tex]lim_n→∞ \frac{n+1}{n}[/tex]

It seems to me like it could work, however I do not understand how an actual 'limit' value can be determined from a sequence of unknown and changing numbers ('n'). What I mean is, in order to make my limit work then the nth term would have to equal infinity, would it not?

** Edit **: According to an online limit solver the limit is 1, which I can see is possible if the n values are cancelled out.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You don't "cancel out" the ##n##'s. You write as$$
    \frac{n+1} n = \frac n n + \frac 1 n = 1 + \frac 1 n$$and take the limit as ##n\to\infty## of that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted