1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of a sequence

1. Sep 15, 2005 #1
    Here is my dilemma: I am to prove that sin (n!*R*pi) has a limit, where R is a rational number. I rewrite R as a/b and I can see that whenever n=b, every subsequent term will be zero. I have tried to write this out using the definition of a limit, but I can't seem to break it down. I have been looking at these problems for a long time and I am blocked on this one.
    Thanks in advance,
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2005 #2

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For a sequence [tex] a_n [/tex], we say that [tex] a_n \rightarrow L [/tex] if for every [tex] \epsilon > 0 [/tex] we can find an [tex] N(\epsilon) [/tex] such that [tex] | a_n - L | < \epsilon [/tex] for [tex] n > N(\epsilon) [/tex].

You have guessed correctly that the limit is 0. Now I give you an [tex] \epsilon [/tex] and ask you to tell me where I should start looking so that the terms of the sequence are always closer than [tex] \epsilon [/tex] to the limit. Tell me where to look by giving me N. You've already pointed out that the terms of the sequence equal the limit beyond a certain point ...
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2005
  4. Sep 15, 2005 #3
    I think I got it. I wasn't including my b in the expansion of the n! as the spot where the sequence converges. I couln't relate the epsilon to the b or the n. It's just the algebra. That's what was giving me the headache. I had been doing the ones that are all polynomials and my brain was fried.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?