1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of a series

1. Feb 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine whether the series is convergent or divergent. If convergent, find its sum.

sum of [1+(2)^n] / (3^n)
    from 1 to inf

2. Relevant equations
    I know that the sum of a geometric series is 1/(1-r)

3. The attempt at a solution
    The sum of a series is the limit of its partial sums.
    I separate the summation into 2 parts: 1/(3^n) + (2^n)/(3^n)

I can see from this that the limits of both of these approach 0, so I conclude that the sum the series is 0.

However, my book says the answer is 5/2 and I tried to solve this a different way and got 5/2 as well. I re-wrote the separate summations as (1/3)^n + (2/3)^n and notice the ratio, r, is 1/3 and 2/3, respectively. Applying the "relevant equation" of 1/(1-r) I solve the summations and get 5/2.

However, if the sum of a series is the limit of its partial sums, why am I getting a different value for my first attempt?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are confusing the limit of a sequence with the sum of a series. That's all.

4. Feb 6, 2008 #3
    My book says that "the sum of a series is the limit of the sequence of partial sums."

5. Feb 6, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You didn't do any partial sums. You just looked at the limits of the individual terms.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?