Finding the Limit of nsin(2πn!e)

• Thread starter dirk_mec1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the context of "limit" refers to the highest or lowest possible value that the expression "nsin(2πn!e)" approaches as n becomes infinitely large or small. The variable "n" represents a positive integer and is used to show the relationship between the number of terms in the factorial (n!) and the value of the sine function at 2πn!e. The sine function is used to demonstrate the oscillating behavior of the expression and the constant "e" is used as a factor in the factorial term. The limit of nsin(2πn!e) cannot be calculated exactly but can be approximated using numerical or mathematical methods.
dirk_mec1

Homework Statement

Find this limit

[tex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} n\cdot sin(2 \pi n!e) [/tex]

Homework Equations

hint: use the euler power series

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I know that:

[tex]e = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k!} [/tex]

But how can I use this information?

Physics news on Phys.org
dirk_mec1 said:

Homework Statement

Find this limit

[tex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} n\cdot sin(2 \pi n!e) [/tex]

Homework Equations

hint: use the euler power series

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I know that:

[tex]e = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k!} [/tex]

But how can I use this information?

That is the power series representation for e.

What is the power series representation of the sine function?

[tex] \sin(x) = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n x^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!} = x - \frac{x^3}{3!} + \frac{x^5}{5!} - \frac{x^7}{7!}+\cdots [/tex]

Do I have to put one series into the other?

Unfortunately, I have erred in solution
Equal second incorrect

m_s_a said:
Unfortunately, I have erred in solution
Equal second incorrect

What do you mean?

Look at the terms in the argument of the sine for a large value of n after you've used the power series expansion for e. Many are integer multiples of 2pi. Now look at the first one that isn't. Can you justify ignoring the terms after that? Think l'Hopital.

Dick said:
Look at the terms in the argument of the sine for a large value of n after you've used the power series expansion for e. Many are integer multiples of 2pi. Now look at the first one that isn't. Can you justify ignoring the terms after that? Think l'Hopital.

Good call Dick. I don't know what I was trying to do when I posted before about the sine expansion. That's what I get for posting at work...

i think answer is 0

n!*e comes out to be nP0+nP1+nP2+nP3....all integers
sin(2pi*integer)==0
infinity * 0=0

vipulsilwal said:
i think answer is 0

n!*e comes out to be nP0+nP1+nP2+nP3....all integers
sin(2pi*integer)==0
infinity * 0=0

You're wrong the answer isn't zero.

would you please tell where i am going wrong...

vipulsilwal said:
would you please tell where i am going wrong...

Put in the infinite series for e. A lot of terms are multiples of two pi. They aren't all. The first one that isn't contributes 2*pi/(n+1) to the sine argument. (There are more but they can be ignored relative to this one for large n).

Dick said:
Put in the infinite series for e. A lot of terms are multiples of two pi. They aren't all. The first one that isn't contributes 2*pi/(n+1) to the sine argument. (There are more but they can be ignored relative to this one for large n).

how n+1??
both the n(one of the n! and other of the e expansion) go upto infinity..

so it would expand to:
2pi + 2pi(n) + 2pi(n)(n-1)+ 2pi(n)(n-1)(n-2) +......2pi(n!)
2pi(n!) being the largest one.

please, more explanation needed ..

Insert the power series first. Then let n go to infinity. Don't try and do both at the same time. The 2*pi*n! term comes from the k=0 term in the expansion, 2*pi comes from the k=n term, right? What about the k=n+1 term?

i am not getting it.
could you please send me the whole solution..

vipulsilwal said:
i am not getting it.
could you please send me the whole solution..

We aren't in the business of providing 'whole solutions'. If you have another question ask it. I don't see what you aren't 'getting'. Put infinite series in sine argument - decide what terms are important. Take limit.

1. What is the meaning of "limit" in this context?

The limit refers to the value that the expression "nsin(2πn!e)" approaches as n becomes infinitely large or small. It is essentially the highest or lowest possible value for the expression.

2. What does "n" represent in this expression?

"n" is a variable that represents a positive integer. It is used in the expression to show the relationship between the number of terms in the factorial (n!) and the value of the sine function at 2πn!e.

3. What is the significance of the sine function in this expression?

The sine function is used to demonstrate the oscillating behavior of the expression as n increases or decreases. It is also a way of representing a periodic function in mathematical notation.

4. How does the value of "e" affect the limit of nsin(2πn!e)?

The value of "e" (Euler's number) is a constant in the expression and does not directly affect the limit. However, it is used as a factor in the factorial term (n!) which does impact the overall value of the expression.

5. Can the limit of nsin(2πn!e) be calculated exactly?

No, the limit of nsin(2πn!e) cannot be calculated exactly. It is an infinite series that cannot be expressed in a finite form. However, it can be approximated using numerical methods or mathematical techniques such as limits and derivatives.