Limit of a sum

• Thread starter flyerpower
  • Start date

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://admitere.ncit.pub.ro/moodle/filter/tex/pix.php/5c2cef253f2db3240db03f8c9b6c9463.gif [Broken]

lim n->infinity of a[n] = ?

Homework Equations

|x| > 1

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, actually i figured out that the sequence converges, and i've tried to solve it using riemannian sums and integrals but no success.

I've also tried to solve the sum and then calculate the limit but i had no idea where to start from.

May anyone suggest me a starting point?

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

I think we can find the sum of a series only if it is a geometric series or a telescoping sum, and from a quick glance this doesn't look like either one.
Otherwise we would need some math software to approximate the sum.

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://admitere.ncit.pub.ro/moodle/filter/tex/pix.php/5c2cef253f2db3240db03f8c9b6c9463.gif [Broken]

Homework Equations

|x| > 1

Well, actually i figured out that the sequence converges, and i've tried to solve it using riemannian sums and integrals but no success.

I've also tried to solve the sum and then calculate the limit but i had no idea where to start from.

Hint: think about what happens when you take derivatives of a geometric series.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

|x| > 1

use the ratio test. ignore the summation symbol for now.

After using ratio test. see if you can seperate the functions so you have "(function 1) + or - (function 2)"

if you can do that, then you could probably telescope to solve the sum. If not, then it could be a geometric series, which should be easier to test (if it is or not) after u get it to a simplified form.

If that doesnt work you should retry it but changing the index. i.e do an index shift, sub k=K+1 (them summation will start at 0), index will be K, not k-1. ratio test should be easier

(also, isnt this question supposed to be something like, for what values of x or k, is this covnergant?)

use the ratio test. ignore the summation symbol for now.

After using ratio test. see if you can seperate the functions so you have "(function 1) + or - (function 2)"

if you can do that, then you could probably telescope to solve the sum. If not, then it could be a geometric series, which should be easier to test (if it is or not) after u get it to a simplified form.

If that doesnt work you should retry it but changing the index. i.e do an index shift, sub k=K+1 (them summation will start at 0), index will be K, not k-1. ratio test should be easier

(also, isnt this question supposed to be something like, for what values of x or k, is this covnergant?)
The OP has already determined that the series converges. He/she is now trying to figure out what the series converges to.

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
My hint still stands. Figure out the sum of r^(k+1). Differentiate twice and put r=1/x.

I figured out how to do it differntiating a geometric series after Dick gave me that hint but i hadn't time to do it yesterday, i will come back later with the solution.

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I think we can find the sum of a series only if it is a geometric series or a telescoping sum

No, that's not true. For example, the sum of 1/n! is e.