Trigonometric Limits: Factoring and L'Hopital's Rule

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit of (2x+1-cosx)/(4x) as x approaches 0 without using L'Hopital's Rule or Taylor series. The solution involves splitting the limit into two parts and using the special limits of (sinx)/x=1 and (1-cosx)/x=0. These special limits are commonly used in finding derivatives of trigonometric functions.
dav1d

Homework Statement

lim x->0 (2x+1-cosx)/(4x)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

factor out 1/4.
get stuck because of cosx..
and I'm not using l'hopital even though I know it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you learned Taylor series yet?

dav1d said:

Homework Statement

lim x->0 (2x+1-cosx)/(4x)

The Attempt at a Solution

factor out 1/4.
get stuck because of cosx..
and I'm not using l'hopital even though I know it.

gb7nash said:
Have you learned Taylor series yet?
I would bet that the OP hasn't learned Taylor series yet, but you don't need to use them, or L'Hopital's Rule, to evaluate this limit.

Split the limit into two limits, one with (2x)/(4x) and the other with (1 - cosx)/(4x).

There are a couple of special limits that are usually presented in textbooks in sections where there are limit problems involving trig functions. These are
[tex]\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{sin(x)}{x} = 1[/tex]

and
[tex]\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{1 - cos(x)}{x} = 0[/tex]

Thanks, I know L'hopital's but I knew there was a easier solution.

By the way, what other special limits are there? Link would be nice!

The two trigonometric limits that Mark44 provided are pretty much the "special" ones that people use. They crop up in developing the derivatives of sin x and cos x using "difference quotients". Those two are useful to know.

The reason people generally don't bother looking for more of these is that once we do have L'Hopital's Rule, we calculate such trigonometric limits using that tool instead...

Question 1:

What is the definition of a limit of a trigonometric function?

The limit of a trigonometric function is the value that a function approaches as its independent variable approaches a specific value or goes to infinity. It can be thought of as the value that a function is "heading towards" at a certain point or as the horizontal asymptote of the function.

Question 2:

How do you find the limit of a trigonometric function?

To find the limit of a trigonometric function, you can use several methods such as substitution, factoring, or using trigonometric identities. You can also use L'Hopital's rule for indeterminate forms.

Question 3:

What are the common trigonometric limits?

Some common trigonometric limits include:

• sin x / x = 1 as x approaches 0
  • cos x / x = 0 as x approaches 0
  • (1 - cos x) / x = 0 as x approaches 0
  • (1 - cos x) / x^2 = 1/2 as x approaches 0

Question 4:

What is the importance of finding the limit of a trigonometric function?

Finding the limit of a trigonometric function is important in understanding the behavior of the function at a particular point. It can also help in solving real-world problems that involve trigonometric functions, such as finding maximum and minimum values.

Question 5:

Can the limit of a trigonometric function be undefined?

Yes, the limit of a trigonometric function can be undefined if the function is not continuous at the specific point or if there is a vertical asymptote. In these cases, the limit does not exist.