1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of abc-formula for a->0

1. Jul 20, 2004 #1
    I was wondering someting that is so simple that it baffled me...

When I have the equation
    [tex]a x^2+b x+c=0[/tex]
    this obviously has the solutions
    [tex]x=\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}[/tex]

And when I have the equation
    [tex]b x+c=0[/tex]
    this has the solution
    [tex]x=\frac{-c}{b}[/tex]

My problem now is the limiting case [itex]a\rightarrow 0[/itex] in the upper situation:
    [tex]\lim_{a\rightarrow 0}\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}\rightarrow -\infty\neq\frac{-c}{b}[/tex]

So what's wrong here? Why does this limit not exist?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2004 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The limit does exist.

[tex]\frac{-b+\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}=\frac{-b+\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}\cdot \frac{-b-\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{-b-\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}=[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{b^2-(b^2-4ac)}{2a(-b-\sqrt{b^2-4ac})}=\frac{2c}{-b-\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}[/tex]

which goes to [tex]\frac{-c}{b}[/tex] when a goes to zero. The same goes for the other square root.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2004
  4. Jul 20, 2004 #3
    But for the other root, I get:

[tex]\frac{-b-\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}=\frac{-b-\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}\cdot \frac{-b+\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{-b+\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}=[/tex]

[tex]\frac{b^2-(b^2-4ac)}{2a(-b+\sqrt{b^2-4ac})}=\frac{2c}{-b+\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}[/tex]

which seems ok... but I don't think it is! After all, I multiply by

[tex]\frac{-b+\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{-b+\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}[/tex]

which is [itex]0/0[/itex] in the case when [itex]a\rightarrow 0[/itex], and that's not allowed

So I don't think you can do this:

[tex]x=\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a} \rightarrow \frac{2c}{-b\mp \sqrt{b^2-4ac}}[/tex]

Right?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2004
  5. Jul 21, 2004 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One root goes to -c/b. The other root becomes infinite. Which is which depends on the sign of b, since the square root goes to |b| as a goes to 0.

6. Jul 22, 2004 #5
    OK, that makes sense. I had originally expected that both roots would converge to -c/b, but now that I think about it, it seems clear that the fact that b can be negative (so that I cannot just say [itex]\sqrt{b^2}=b[/itex]) will spoil this. Oh well... too bad (for what I wanted).

7. Jul 22, 2004 #6

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, since [tex]\frac{-b+\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{-b+\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}[/tex]
    can only be zero when [itex]ac=0[/itex] this step is perfectly valid. We may assume [itex]a\neq 0[/itex] when calculating the limit. So that leaves [itex]c\neq 0[/itex] as a restriction. Although it would still be allowed when b is negative.

This expression is correct, but you have to take cases. If b is positive, then you'll find the expression with the negative sign to converge to [itex]\frac{-c}{b}[/itex], if b is negative the expression with the positive sign converges to [itex]\frac{-c}{b}[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?